June 8th, 2011

Tigers invade White House

The East Room of the White House was transformed into an Auburn football pep rally Wednesday as President Obama officially congratulated the Tigers for their BCS Championship win last January over Oregon.

The visit was delayed more than a month ago so the president could survey the deadly tornado damage that affected large parts of Alabama.

Obama gave a particular shout out to Cam Newton – Auburn’s former quarterback and winner of the Heisman Trophy - as well as Robert Gibbs, the former White House press secretary who attended Auburn and is a die-hard fan of the team.

But it was Gibbs' son, Ethan, who ultimately stole the show. Himself an Auburn fan, Obama asked the younger Gibbs to come on stage with the players. It was then all did not quite go as planned - check out the video above.

Topics: President Obama

1. maikl

Stop complain about Obama. What you expect ?. He never hold real job,just community organizer .He don't now what to do.

June 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Rabbi Malachi

Wow. You make America proud with your well written statements. Did you graduate from the 3rd grade? or do you just have a very low IQ? No, you must be an Auburn alum.

June 8, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
      • John

I get it, if you thought this person was a Dem it would be ok, but because you think they are a repub it isn't...

June 9, 2011 at 9:33 am |
    • Russ

You are certainly a foreigner!

June 8, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
  2. Rabbi Malachi

It's only matter of time when this "invasion" will be stricken from the records.

June 8, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
  3. Otto

Ha-ha...Thanks for making the laugh a little better "maikl" but I disagree with you on the community organizer aspect. You see, it takes more than tough guts to go out into any neighborhood and get people to organize into anything meaningful. So, he had choices and he could have become a Wall Street multi-millionaire but he chooses to be a guy that wanted to help those who could not help themselves. I think his choice was more humane than just wanting to enrich himself. It is not that he is under educated like many of his opponents Palin/Buchannan or even crazy like Trump, nor is he insane like Newt or for lack of speech like GWB.

June 8, 2011 at 9:14 pm |
  4. Liz Carter in Georgia

Thanks OTTO! Another thing is 'maikl', normally with communities, especially in the big inner-cities, they're pretty well diversed! You've got some of every race in them, some of every occupation, some of every religion, every lifestyle, disabled, workers, non-workers, career retirees, disability retirees, even welfare/food stamp/medicaid/section 8 recipients of all persuasions. So it seems to me the communty was really a pretty good model of experience for Obama! Now he's trying to do it on a BIGGER scale!

June 9, 2011 at 2:22 am |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

Contd: However, there've been some many obviously deep rooted problems and pushbacks with OBAMAS' attempts to restructure, revamp, renovate, revise and re-organize this GREAT BIG COMMUNITY called AMERICA, because there are diversified groups and individuals who really don't want organization! They want things to stay the same, as long as their bottomlines don't change; and if they ended up giving in to the 'change', 'GOD please don't let us have to give in to the good ideas of this 'N'- President'! Get it?

June 9, 2011 at 2:48 am |
    • John

Another uncalled for racist statement by a Dem. It is amazing.

June 9, 2011 at 9:36 am |
  6. Liz Carter in Georgia

Yes, I said it! I will continue to put it on out here like it is for a whole lot of you on here because this is who I am. I'm born and raised in the south, so I know it well when I see it! The thing about it is, I've never hid back, turned my head, shut my eyes, shut my mouth and tipped on egg-shells, afraid to let people know that I knew it was there! Until that 'stinking thinking' is really and truly dead, I don't suppose I'll ever, either. OK, 'hit dogs', take your usual pot shots at me. I'm waiting!

June 9, 2011 at 3:10 am |
    • John

It is like shooting fish in a barrel. You talk about the great ideas when unemployment is at over 9% after tarp 1, 2 +3, stimulas, bailouts and such – billions upon billions spent and virtually nothing to show for it. Gas at almost $4 and going up, not to mention the CEO of governmnet motors wanting a $1 gas tax (great money spent there, we are only in the red 7 billion right now with that deal). Why would this country want to go back to 5% unemployment because that administration was bad...

June 9, 2011 at 9:42 am |
  7. Liz caarter in Georgia

NO JOHN! I come from an African American family where my mother who's 94 years old is a 'Abraham Lincoln/Colin Powell Republican, although she choose to vote her last time for OBAMA, OK? My father who died in 2005 was a proud Democrat, who loved FDR and fought in WW2 under McARTHUR, OK? My mother was raised under Methodism, and my father was raised Baptist; and we were ALL born and raised in the South! So don't tell me I don't know the difference! I was taught to listen to the man and not the party, OK?

June 9, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Trixie

I appreciate you taking to time to contribute That's very hluepfl.

December 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm |