Obama: What debate?
June 14th, 2011

Obama: What debate?

Seven Republicans tore into President Obama at CNN’s GOP Debate Monday night, but the president wasn’t watching, the White House says.

From Jay Carney’s briefing on Air Force One Tuesday:

“The president did not watch. He was otherwise occupied. I spoke with him this morning and he did not see any of it. … He never watched his own debates, so he’s not spending a lot of time watching other debates.”

Carney also reiterated the same talking point the Democratic National Committee is pushing Tuesday, noting a few words that were not spoken by the candidates.

“I would note as an observer having caught up with the replays, I was struck by the fact that middle class and education did not pass anyone’s lips that I heard, which was striking to me because the middle class is obviously to our mind the primary focus of everything we do, in terms of the economic policies we pursue, the concerns we have.”

Topics: President Obama

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. JoeyDee

The repubs are for the rich ONLY. If they win, it's a loss for America...

June 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • Bridget

agreed.

June 14, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Leslie

JoeyDee:

Your comment is silly and overly simplistic. I often hear these types of statements from my least educated friends.

June 14, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Aaron

rich oil, rich pharmaceutical, rich "clean coal" EL OH EL

June 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  2. jean2009

Amazing not a one of them stated what they would do. Bash the President all the while presenting no plan. Simple answer for that is they know just as well as anyone that rebuilding from the George W. Bush fiasco is going to take time and a lot of work...and they now are concentrated on making sure no plan to rectify 8 years of blunders is going to pass the house.

Michelle Bachmann seems at a loss as to who she would be if she were President...she would "ask the Commander in Chief for his opinion about DADT." Why are the teanuts so enchanted with these airheads.

Romney passed the Nixon/Kennedy health care plan (same as the Health Insurance Reform Plan of 2010 (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act)...but he doesn't think all Americans should be entitled to protection or affordable health insurance that cannot be denied....his opinion is it should only be available to those living in states with Democratic legislatures and governors. The rest of the Rethugliklan candidates want to repeal the parts of the legislation that would both make it affordable and protective. They still want everyone to be required to buy health insurance but at unaffordable rates and without protection.

June 14, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Interesting that you say "not a one of them stated what they would do." Yet you went on to tell what they would do. Liberals are hypocrites.

Thank goodness Barry is a one term president. Time for him to go back to organizing communities, running a hot dog cart selling drugs or what ever his job was before wrecking our nation. Or better yet, let him stand in the unemployment line for a couple of years.

June 14, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
      • j

Hey idiot, he was speaking about the romney plan, not what they debated... good job with the spin there buddy.

June 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
      • Right Wing Ignorance is Bliss

Lol. One term President seems to be the new lunatic fringe right talking point. No matter how many times you repeat your slogan you silly hillbilly it will never come to pass.

June 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
      • Dany

Typical bigoted comment. Obama will win in a landslide in 2012! The republicans are absolutely a nightmare. Guess you baggers better start packing your bags for Canada! LOL!

June 14, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
      • Leslie

Jay, I suspect we vote the same, so please shut up. You embarrass me.

June 14, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  3. Liz Carter in Georgia

That's right! What debate? PauL WAS just about the BEST of the MESS! I didn't hear a word from any of them about how they planned on doing anything different! Especially on behalf of the middleclass or poor. They all stood up there like the trolls they are, on a MISSION to see who was BEST at bashing OBAMA, was all! None of them, except maybe Paul made any sense EVER! The questions were leading, dismal and vague; as were the responses! Their mission's to put SATAN back in and run the 'MESSIAH' out, PERIOD!

June 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Jay in NC

The only reason you are not supporting Michelle Bachmann is because you are a sexist. Oh, you try and hide it in your comments, pretend that you are not but I know, I know and I will point it out and say it from the top of my voice, you are sexist. Plain and simple. You want women to go back to their homes and scrub floors, well it's not going to happen. You can not keep them down anymore. You are in denial, women have the right to be president, period.

June 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
      • j

And people are against obama, including those in our own government, because he is black. Jay, your a dumbass... its easy to assum, fortunately my comment is more credible.

June 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
      • Right Wing Ignorance is Bliss

Jay in NC- dude you should leave your parents basement from time to time, you will see that you will be able to think a lot clearer and post something with a hint of intelligence instead of posting your nonsensical rants.

June 14, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
      • Dany

Yes, but I'd prefer a smart woman President that knows who freed the slaves (not the Founding Fathers, lol) and knows what state that shot was heard (Not NH).

June 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Leslie

Liz Carter in Georgia:

My dear, It is indeed difficult to fashion good answers to what you rightly refer to as "leading, dismal, and vague" questions. For that, blame CNN. However, I didn't have any problem making sense of what the candidates said. One cannot deny they are generally intelligent people. What you may have meant to say was that you do not agree with them, period! What seems to be a "mess", respectfully, is your thought process.

June 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  4. mikey

Everyone on the stage looked more competant than our current FAILED president. Liberals will try to spin this as they can, but it is plain that community organizer boy is in way over his head. All the economic number look bad and will remain so as people bail out of America's economic engine. Obama's hate of wealth accumulation, self reliance, and the american way of life has driven those that can help the economy elsewhere. Lib"s enjoy your third world leader and his third world economy.

June 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • jean2009

mikey you post the same drivel on each site? This president from day one has not been in over his head and you know it, but it goes a long way toward making you sound like a moron each time you say it.

June 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • FRANK IN LAS VEGAS

Mikey...you sound like a typical right wing nut that can't stand that the GOP lost. The President is smarter than all of the clowns that were on stage last night. I also like how you pin heads always refer to the President as a community organizer and ignoring his terms as a State Senator and as a US Senator. Did you even know that President Obama had more experience than President Lincoln did when he was elected. But then again, you probably don't like Lincoln either. Gee, how did I know that.

June 14, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
  5. Can'tWaitfor2012

I'll take any of them over Obama, but Hermain Cain is my favorite. He was respectful enough to try and keep his comments close to the requested 30 seconds. He answered direct questions instead of always changing the topic back to "Obama is an idiot and I want to talk about my pre-planned one liners". PLUS he's a Washington outsider, which, I don't care who you are... with the state of our current political system (favor doing, scandals, lobbyists, and everything else), someone on the outside ready to make important decisions without years of political baggage and "you owe me" expiration dates binding his hands, he has a chance to make a real difference!! I hope to see him go far and shake this nation up a little.

June 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  6. Thelookingglass

Fools leading fools . . . over looking and tripping over the truth while getting back up pretending that it never happened. Republicans are full of darkness, they are void of any light. Their followers are in for a rude awakening, they seem to be totally oblivious to the deceit perpetrated by their elected party reps. This country is filled with so much hate that they would rather self destruct then allow a black, true and just man, to lead them out of the storm to resulted out of lies, greed and hate.

June 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  7. Thai

There is no doubt in my mind that the GOP doesn't care about the middle class, but don't think I'm foolish enough to think the Democrats care about the middle class either. An insurance mandate shifts power from middle class individuals to the for-profit insurance companies. The Bush tax cuts were renewed with even a challenge by the Democrats. They only paid lip service to the idea of repealing them, but in reality, Democrats in the Congress blamed Obama and said he agreed to renew them too quickly... even though it's the Congress (not the President) that writes the budget bill. Of course, Obama does deserve blame for signing on it. So in other words, Democrats in the Congress and the Democrat in the Office of the Presidency are all agreeing to policies that they pretend to oppose, and they point fingers at each other to deflect blame. The end result? The Republican and Democrat policies are the same: Tax cuts for the rich. And as far as trickle-down economics go, the Democrats pretend they don't think it works because rich people don't pass the wealth down to the middle class. But when given the opportunity, BOTH Democrats and Republicans back stimulus spending (whether or not they admit it, both parties voted for stimulus spending), which amounts to sending big checks to rich people and arguing that this will help the middle class.

June 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  8. kim

The whole lot of them are a joke. Repubs seem to have amnesia. Do you remember who got us into this mess? Clinton sure didn't. The good ole take care of our own Republicans did. When Obama took office, the banks were failing, the stock market was crashing, we lost millions of jobs, the housing market was in the tank. WOW! What a lot to get out of in 3 years. Then they have the nerve to stand up there and say they want to go right back to the policies that started this whole mess. And it is Obamas fault?? What a joke. Bachmann could never make it through an entire campain without the crazy Michelle coming out. Romney is such a liar and flip flopper. Please people, do you really think the GOP would ever nominate Herman Cain? 99% of the reason they hate Obama is because he is black. We have seen the Tea Part rallies. Save it. He should be ashamed to even be associated with those nuts and racists. The rest of the pack...........forget it. They don't stand a chance. Obama is turning things around for this country. Like it or not. We are cetainly in way better shape in just three short years under Obama than we ever were under the Rpublicans!

June 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • Leslie

Kim: No offense, honestly, but you have written some dopey stuff. Your contention that " 99% of the reason they hate Obama is because he is black" is plain silly.Using your logic, or lack thereof, I suppose one could falsely conclude that 99% of white Anglo Saxon's are cold, evil, wealthy Republicans, 99% of African-Americans love fried chicken, 99% of Jews are cheap, penny pinchers, and 99% of Democrats are noble, generous, do-gooders. I have watched the Tea Party events with curiosity too. I have not noticed overt racism. My guess is you have not either, but it sounds pretty good, and I bet it makes you feel morally superior.

Also, Kim, years are always 365 days long. No years are shorter than others. Now if you could tell me how we are in better shape than three (short?) years ago, I'm all ears, but I suspect you are as "crazy" as you believe Ms. Bachman is. Cheers!

June 14, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  9. MICK

I didn't see anyone present a plan for getting Americans back to work. Did I miss something?
    If the Republicans want to win in 2012 they need to show the people now they are going to
    fix the economy'.

June 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • maikl

Oeee. Now you ask for a plan. Where you have been 2.5 years and did not Obama for plan? He is the worse president ever. Carter can relax now, he is not the worse .

June 14, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
      • jean2009

Ronald Reagan worst president of my 76 years, George W. Bush when history looks back may displace Reagan presently he is a close second for worst.

June 15, 2011 at 10:17 am |
  10. FRANK IN LAS VEGAS

I watched the side show and I have to agree, What Debate? A debate implies an exchange of ideas, plans, views, etc. All we saw was seven sorry souls trying to do only one thing, bash President Obama, Did anyone hear a plan? We did hear, we have to get the economy moving again, well duh! It's been the GOP in the House and Senate who have blocked every bill that would have done just that. They were all throwing out made up numbers and half truths and even outright lies. Yet this is what the far right wants to hear. Most of them couldn't understand a plan even if one of these clowns had a plan. Just think, what did we hear from the front runner, Mit, we have to get the economy going again, and once again, duh. Did he say how? Of course not, it's bashing the President, no exchange of views. You could hardly call it a debate.

June 14, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • Leslie

Frank: Just in case you did not see the presentation, CNN called it a debate and controlled the format. No candidate was allowed to complete a thought or sentence without Mr.King interupting. If you missed it, at one point Mr. King reminds the candidates to keep their answers very brief, so that those (Americans) "tuned in" remain "tuned in". Unfortunately. with todays limited attention span and lack of intellectual curiosity, a real debate style presentation will never occur on any major network. This is whose fault...the Republican candidates?

Clowns? Sideshow? Sir are you a member of the circus?

Try making an cogent argument instead of maligning EVERY side show sad sack you encounter.

No exchange of views? Clowns?

June 14, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
      • Jerry

Sorry Leslie, I watched and I agree with Frank. There was no debate. No exchange of ideas, virtually no disagreement. That was nothing to do with the format which was similar to the primary debates of 2008 where sparks flew virtually every time on both sides. It was a very poor showcase for GOP voters to make a choice.

June 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  11. raja

Pack up these all 7 wonder in a bottle and throw deep into the see. They not gonna do any thing for middle class I know it from their debate.

June 14, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • Leslie

Raja: I believe you need the word "sea" versus "see" in your post. These two words are called homphones. If you do not know this, why are you so sure of yourself with regard to the candidates.

June 14, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
  12. Liz Carter in Georgia

Even a few conservatives who have taken off their blindfolds and awaken from their deep, hate-ridden comas see this 'DEBATE' as a joke! You got it liberals! OBAMA/BIDEN 2012! @LESLIE; Really? Well OK! Opinions, Opinions! LOL! @Thai, I have to agree with your comment, 99%, because it is the truth. @Jay, did you hear Leslie? LOL! You go FRANK IN LAS VEGAS!

June 14, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
    • Leslie

Liz: What happened to civility? .."deep hate ridden comas"..."Satan"..."Messiah"...NA na na na na.

Liz, I am a conservative (small "c") and see my doctor regulary. If I were in a coma, he would have told me.

For the record, conservatives, are no more evill, stupid or hateful than non-conservatives. I suggest that you take a long introspective look into a mirror. Maybe you'll discover something. I usually people who believe they are morally superior are just ignorant to human nature.

June 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
      • maikl

Excellent respond.Thanks.

June 14, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
  13. Leslie

Clowns? Sideshow? Sir are you a member of the circus?

June 14, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
  14. maikl

What debate? Obama don't now what going on in the country and you ask him about debate. Why they always lie? His team study every body move,every spelling thousand time on every candidate.This election time, but they play f...game like they don't care. Anyway, I vote for Obama in 2008, for change. I got so much change that I ask for my vote back. I see change in gas, food ,nat... budget, inflation,people w/out job. My ex-coworker lost his house but He watch president play golf,going to vacationsssss. "Thanks for change" mr,president we will mail to you pink slip.

June 14, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  15. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Leslie; I answered you, who tried to slight me by saying the 'mess' was my thought processes. I said Really? Well OK! Opinions, Opinions! That wasn't enough for you though I see. The conservative (small 'c') wants more! I made the comment about SATAN, because you Evil BIG 'C's and little 'c's hatefully dubbed OBAMA the 'Messiah', and I stand by my comment! Did that shoot by you Ms or Mr Educated? I see you're not one of the 'c's who've awakened! BTW, check your own spelling; sentences in post 9:50 pm ET!

June 15, 2011 at 12:09 am |
  16. Liz Carter in Georgia

Leslie, I'm shocked that you, a small 'c' is looking for civility? You small 'c's usually take on the same persona as your BIG 'C's. You conservatives lost that 'c' (civility) as soon as OBAMA started running for PRESIDENT! GOD forbid, he won and that 'c' went straight out of the window! You cons prove that everyday! BTW, maybe you should take a long look in the mirror! Human nature? The morally superior also seems to be part of the conservative outward persona too! Look at how you all have pressed WEINER!

June 15, 2011 at 12:32 am |
    • Leslie

Liz Carter in Georgia:

I am sorry you are unable to understand my point of view. You however are nasty. Perhaps though, you might learn to communicate more effectively in english.

June 16, 2011 at 8:29 am |
  17. Liz Carter in Georgia

You all blabbered, pressed and pushed so hard through the media, that many of the liberals of his own Democratic Party had no choice but to denounce him too; and that even included the PRESIDENT! If they hadn't, you 'moral superiors' with filthy hands yourselves, would've been sitting up on TV, trashing, bashing and denouncing them for not doing so, all the way into the 2012 elections! Talk about evil! BTW, you may need to change doctors or get a second opinion. It's just a suggestion! Just sayin'......

June 15, 2011 at 12:48 am |
  18. stevegee

Is America better off than we were two and half years ago? NObama.
    Vote Republican in 2012.

June 15, 2011 at 7:36 am |
  19. Liz Carter in Georgia

Leslie: Is that the language you speak? Wow! Nasty, huh? And the same to you! LOL! Yet you indicated that perhaps I might learn to communicate more effectively in english! Isn't that a 'flip-flopper'? Evidently I communicated my view clearly. I certainly did think I was communicating pretty well.......IN ENGLISH! I SO hoped you understood my view! I too am sorry if you're unable to understand my point of view. As I said before; Opinions, Opinions! Everybody has them. You do know what they're like don't you?

June 16, 2011 at 6:16 pm |