A storm is brewing
June 22nd, 2011

A storm is brewing

A storm is heading to the White House.  The  Seattle Storm.

President Obama will honor winners of the 2010 WNBA championship, the Seattle Storm, in an event at the White House on Wednesday June 29, 2011.   As part of the visit, the Storm will hold a basketball clinic for area D.C. kids.

We can only hope this is another rare chance to see the president’s fancy footwork on the basketball court.

Topics: Basketball • The Buzz • White House

« Previous entry
  1. Alice27

I was very disappointed with the President's withdrawal numbers. We got the man we went to get so our troops should come home and our treasures should stop flowing. I tried to call the White House comment line but they close down at 5:00pm, so I tried to call the White House switchboard using the number listed on their site and it is not a working number. What is going on here? I'm sure they preferred it this way. Everything nice and quite. Well, I am a strong Democrat and I don't like it. These chickens are going to come home to roost the next election.

June 22, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • cindy

Ya,"Thats the ticket Alice" "Cut and Run" Your a Teabagger, Get a grip? Just watch yourself in public,you will be in danger of Al Queda, they want to kill you???? Good luck,watch your back!!!

June 23, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  2. Liz Carter in Georgia

I too am tired of it, we shouldn't have been in Afghanistan nor Iraq in the first place. I'm like OBAMA, maybe Afghanistan was a 'just war', since we went claiming to be looking for OBL! As you learn better, you do better. We didn't have to go in so deep; but do you people expect OBAMA to listen to the advice of you all rather than the 'war room generals' and the generals on the field? Rather than the advice of two REAL veteran senators of the Vietnam War; a Democrat John Kerry and a Republican John McCain?

June 23, 2011 at 6:52 am |
  3. Liz Carter in Georgia

Since Bush put us into those two 'unfunded wars' sideways, well under basicly lies as reasoning for both; no WMDs and he quit looking for OBL, we were still in there in force in both places on Jan 20, 2009. The whole OBL mission had basicly squashed in Afghanistan, and no weapons in Iraq but all of the US eyes of greed were focused on Iraq, the oil, the contracting, Sale of Iraq, basicly; and the BIG money that was being made for corrupted officials/politicians, their investor buddies and friends!

June 23, 2011 at 7:15 am |
  4. Liz Carter in Georgia

President Barack Obama was left this mess to deal with and bring to some kind of end or completion so I BELIEVE that's what he has been trying to do! Whatever happened to all of the campaign rhetoric and talk about 'we must draw down responsibily'? We don't want to undo what has been done and end up possibly having to go back. What became of all that kind of talk? All of them sat up there and said just that over and over again! Now you 'military strategists' are scolding him to pull EVERYBODY out yesterday!

June 23, 2011 at 7:31 am |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

With what he had to work with going in, I believe he did the right thing to do the 'McCain' surge in Afghanistan, since they claimed it worked in Iraq! At least it helped to bring the focus back to what the original mission was in Afghanistan, which was unless that was a lie too, OBL. After Obamas team went in and got him, your pundits and contributors immediately jumped out to put a negative drag on that great fete by saying this isn't the end! There are more dangerous individuals and pockets of AL QUAEDA.

June 23, 2011 at 7:48 am |
  6. Liz Carter in Georgia

So why wouldn't OBAMA want to make sure he does the right thing by listening to the generals on the ground, and not to you, to insure that after all of these years and lives lost we aren't leaving it a 'hot box', ready to flare up again? That's what drawing down responsibly is. Now if he did pay you folk attention and did what you say do, how you said to do it, and something happens and all hell broke loose here or over there, you same ones would be on screaming he pulled them out to soon! It's his fault!

June 23, 2011 at 8:09 am |
    • cindy

Thats because the Gops only mission is to "Make the President look bad? Thats their only agenda? Un-American to say the least. Gop loves their contractors making "Billions" I like Beck calling Dems "Communist" LOL Beck is Totalatarianist!! What a "Creep" and a Lier!!!!! Evangelical Maddness"!!!!

June 23, 2011 at 9:25 am |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

If I remember correctly, even after Nixons' order of the so named 'HOLIDAY BOMBING' of Saigon Christmas of 1973, at the end of the Vietnam War, it took soldiers and marines up to way late in 1975 to ALL get sent back to the states. We didn't have the luxury of screaming at, and telling the PRESIDENTS what to do back then; they worked it like they wanted to or the way they thought it best for everyone concerned among the 'corrupted greedy'! We just had to wait, hope and pray our boys and girls made it home!

June 23, 2011 at 8:33 am |
    • Jay in NC

"We didn't have the luxury of screaming at, and telling the PRESIDENTS what to do back then" ???? The Vietnam war was one of the most heated protested wars in our history. Every day there were images of students, yelling, screaming about the war, burning draft cards, running to Canada. John Kerry threw away his medals (actually someone else's) but there were demonstrations. Remember Kent State, students were protesting the invasion of Cambodia.

It is truly strange that you think that "we just had to wait and hope". This is typical of Liz, re-write history to fit her needs.

June 23, 2011 at 9:03 am |
      • jean2009

JAY: At 76, I remember Kent State; I live in Ohio. Yes, that war was highly contested, plus we had a draft which many could with special pull avoid. As I remember it, the outcry was aimed at the full of Washington and the military. President Nixon as the head took his share of the flack. A great many people agreed with the protesters and with just cause...it was just another opportunity for a military contractor bonanza. It was a total waste of our time, treasure, and so many young lives. As a mother with 2 sons approaching draft age I was against the war.

However, you are the one perpetuating that whole BS about John Kerry, ribbons or metals...in any case according to snopes he won his metals fair and square (Bronze Star, Silver Star, 3 Purple Hearts). If he thought the battles he was required to participate in were unjust then he (in my opinion) would be the best judge of the situation he found himself. Many things that were done during that war were beyond the pale. It is not for someone who maybe never served, or remembers it from a history lesson to decide what John Kerry endured.

May I ask, where were you during Mei Li?

Liz is not rewriting history, you are trying to spin it to fit your distortion.

June 23, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  8. Liz Carter in Georgia

Good point Jay! I was speaking of the hideous internet flock; which there wasn't one where random coward clowns could just spew, anonymously their hateful slanderous sludge against the president (on anything) his wife and family. The mainstream media itself was prompt to lean more towards loyalty and respect to the 'powers that were'. It didn't stretch and embellish 'truths' so as to cause such animosities, hate and controversy. Demonstrations YES! I WAS one but we were yelling at the whole of WASHINGTON!!

June 23, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

We'd been used to demonstrating for causes, especially in the south since the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement. We were still in our demonstration mode! After all, that whole time encompassed the assassinations of Malcolm X, John (Jack) F Kennedy, Medgar Evers, Martin Luther King and Robert (Bobby) Kennedy, the back drop was the ongoing Vietnam War. Yes we marched and demonstrated against the government not just whomever was president! We knew it took the whole body to keep that dastardly thing going.

June 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Oh, so the protesters carrying derogatory signs about President Nixon were not really anti Nixon. They were just protesting the government. I see, 'Kill Nixon' is hippie talk for 'will the government please stop the war.' I understand it all now.

Applying the same logic, if someone says "Barry is a warmonger that kills children", they are truly saying "The government needs to try harder to not disrupt class rooms."

Liz, get real, Liberals loved protesting about President Nixon. They hung him in effigy, would have hung him for real if they had half a chance. Keep re-writing history Liz, it makes life interesting.

June 23, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia

We marched/demonstrated in ATLANTA against the war in college too! Jane Fonda came and marched with us; The Atlanta University School System; including Morris Brown, Clark, Spelman, and Morehouse. We didn't throw rocks and hide our hands; we got out on front street; we weren't hid out behind a computer! So whether you care to acknowledge it or not, a blind man can see that this modern-day style of so called 'demonstrating' is NOT the same; trashy; not befitting any sitting President of the United States!

June 23, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  11. Liz Carter in Georgia

Strange? I lost a cousin, many classmates, and friends in that Vietnam War and yes in after all of the public outcry and demonstrations, in the end, well until they did decided to actually end the Vietnam War, sometime in 1974, YES! We did so have to wait, hope and pray that our boys and girls made it back home, Ok? Strange? No re-writes to fit my needs! I work hard to tell the truth, ONLY! That's what you do very well, until somebody calls you on it and many times you don't even respond back to them!

June 23, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  12. Liz Carter in Georgia

Thanks Jean, I certainly am never trying to re-write history. I love history, my mother who is 94 years old, and is in the last stage of alzheimers, was a self-made historian or you may say, a history buff. She encouraged me and my 3 brothers to keep good records. She told us history is only history when it hadn't been added to or subtracted from. She loved AMERICAN history and reveled in even working up other families ancestral heritages into AMERICA. People often asked her to do this for family reunions.

June 23, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  13. Liz Carter in Georgia

BTW, Jay, I don't remember ever seeing signs or posters up that read 'KILL NIXON'. I've said before I rather appreciated him because he was after all THE one that did in fact put an end to the Vietnam War. He also was THE President who implemented a n tool which was called the 'BIRTHDAY LOTTERY', if I'm remembering correctly and my 'history' is correct. It was a deal that actually eleminated the chances of all 3 of my brothers being drafted as long as they stayed in school and kept up their grades.

June 23, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  14. Liz Carter in Georgia

Contd: I don't remember how it worked but their birthdays, months and years of fell some way out of that lottery draw. As a veteran himself of WW2, my father took each one of them, when they turned 18, down to the draft board because he was a father who always tried to obey the law. My mother wrote NIXON a beautiful, motherly letter, asking him if it was in his power to please don't draft her 2 oldest sons, who were eligible. The baby boy just missed it, he turned 18 in 1972. So we thanked RICHARD B NIXON!

June 23, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
  15. Liz Carter in Georgia

However, I see it just like this...a Republican, Dwight D Eisenhower, 1953-1961 put us in Vietnam in 1954. When Democrat John F Kennedy came in, in 1961-1963 (they killed him) it was still going on and Kennedy only sent more advisors and machinery, no boots. People were getting pretty tired of it too by then; there were demonstrations and I believe he was really going to start plans to end it. The REPUGS didn't want that yet. They took him out! His VP Democrat lyndon B Johnson, 1963-1969; he inherited it!

June 23, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  16. Liz Carter in Georgia

Contd: Johnson had to try to figure out how to deal with it in heartache. It's said that he sat up late nights in deep meditation and worration of what was happening in Vietnam. ALL of the deaths and lamed soldiers and marines coming back home, because it had been ratcheted up by then. He couldn't sleep many nights and it's said that he said that.. AMERICA will never get a negro to fight in another war again. However, we still do and probably will continue to do so..We've proved, WE WANT TO LOVE AMERICA!

June 24, 2011 at 12:03 am |
  17. Liz Carter in Georgia

Contd: Lastly, was another Republican, Richard B Nixon, 1969-1974 and I have already described the opinions I had for him. I would however like to correct one thing I said earlier. The treaty was signed in January 1973, but all of the drawdown took quite a few more months. It was sometime in 1975 before everything and everybody was back. So a Republican took us in there and when they were ready, a Republican brought us back! So it seems to me Republicans are the Real war mongerers!

June 24, 2011 at 12:18 am |