Obama touts manufacturing rebound in Iowa visit
June 28th, 2011

Obama touts manufacturing rebound in Iowa visit

(CNN) - President Barack Obama took his economic recovery message on the road Tuesday, telling a group of manufacturing workers in Iowa that while times remain tough, the administration has made a series of critical investments in the country's long-term development.

He also knocked Washington's harsh partisan environment, saying that lawmakers need to start working more as a team for the country's common good.

"I ran (for president in 2008) because I believe in an America where working families aren't just treading water, but where they're moving forward," the president said during a visit to an Alcoa plant in Bettendorf.

"I know these are difficult times," he conceded. "Sometimes it's tempting to turn cynical ... and start thinking that maybe our best days are behind us. But that's not the America I know."

FULL POST

Topics: Economy • Iowa Caucuses

« Previous entry
  1. george

The first term was CLEANING THE MESS PHASE soon it will be THE BUILDING PHASE in the second term and America will rise again from the ashes as the PHOENEIX!! OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

June 29, 2011 at 6:51 am |
  2. John

I'll admit – he gives great speechs. But, like the head of the CBO said, we can't figure a budget on speechs. Given what is going on in this country, and where this country is going, it is difficult to understand how this guys approvals are as high as 38% – and these numbers are from an SEIU poll.

June 29, 2011 at 8:38 am |
  3. maikl

I want my vote back. I'm sorry America. A vote for this naive,unexperiences man, who have good school, but not vision. Just good bla-bla-bla.

June 29, 2011 at 10:02 am |
  4. Liz Carter in Georgia

You don't have to apologize to America. You can't get your vote back though. BTW, you don't have to feel bad about it. Your one vote wasn't the tie-breaker OK? Just like it won't be in the 2012 elections. It's not your fault. It's was to your credit that you voted for OBAMA, if you did. In the end, you will come to realize that, especially if and when you put the Repugs back in office. One more thing don't base all of your anti-OBAMA opinions on the anti-OBAMA posters on this blog. Educate your own self!

June 29, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • John

Many, many people voted for BO that are sorry about it now that they see what he really meant by "change". I am sure maikl, unlike most dems, can form their own views of the situation. They don't need you not valuing their opinion telling them they are wrong. I value your opinion (even though I almost never agree with it).

June 29, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

.Finally, the blah blah blah you mentioned and the 'no vision' you alleged against OBAMA comes from what and how many complaints you have against him? That should've been cite against BUSH! Blah-blah-blah...and no vision. That's when AMERICA took the 'blow'! What you're looking at now is the results of it, the trickled down side effects of it. This President is only trying to re-start and heal those problems with no help from a treasonistic, obstructive, stonewalling Congress; especially on the GOP side.

June 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • John

I was even more vocal against Bush. I wish I knew how I could recover my comments so I could post them. Vision of what? Amercica has blown trillions under THIS ADMINISTRATION and has nothing to show for it (other than the sign on rt 93 I pass by that says something about a stimulas project – where there is no work going on). America and Americans are taking the "blow" every day now – don't you get it? Take Boeing for example – do you think any country in the world wouldn't want them? Do you think they won't move MORE operations off shore if the crap from this administration doesn't stop? I hear alot about all the new jobs created under this administration – what we don't hear about is the over 2 million jobs that have been lost during this administration. I know, it is all BUSH's FAULT... BTW, when does this administration own what they are doing? Sometime after 2012 when the Repubs take over?

June 29, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
      • jean2009

Yes, John those signs on numerous highways across this country have put many people to work...hard back-breaking work. Work that you probably couldn't handle. These infrastructure jobs have put food on family tables, paid bills, and put dollars into local economies. For months coming and going in my local area I have seen countless of these job sites...and yes, I have waited in a stopped line of traffic to be waved through by a flagman....they are definitely are a good sign to the people working those jobs.

As for being Bush's fault....YES...since the funds for the first stimulus package was passed during the last year of his desperate Presidency, The first stimulus package was signed by Bush on Feb.13,2008. The Second Recovery Act Bill was passed on January 28, 2009, and sign by Obama on January 29, 2009 when he had been president for exactly 8 days...and you know exactly how fast congress moves on passing legislation...NOT.

Exactly 2.6 million jobs were lost during 2008...533.000 in the month of November, 2008 and another 524,000 for December, 2008,

Obama was not sworn in until Jan. 20, 2009. So put the blame where blame is due, which is on the 8 failed years of the Bush presidency. .

Obama – Biden -2012

June 29, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
      • John

First of all, I started working when I was 11 years old – a job that maybe you could't have performed, but I don't know you so I couldn't say one way or another. Basically, I have been working steadily for almost 40 years – paying enough taxes to take care of me and my family for the remainder of my life (if I had it). You missed my point, 2 million jobs have been lost in this country SINCE BO TOOK OFFICE!!. You are most likely a Dem so I understand why you are either ignorant to this fact or simply can't accept it. You also missed my point on the sign. The sign was put up, but no work was done (other than the sign being made and hung). I guess only a dem would appreciate this type of "make work". BTW, over 6 million dollars spent on making and hanging stimulas signs – you think that is a good use of our money? Also, I went back to school when I was 30, then again when I was 42. I hold a MEd at this point in time. Am I retrained for the new economy? If we only knew what that is maybe I could answer the question. We are closing "Green Plants" faster than they are opening them in this country. You are living the failed policy of this administration. We can't take another 5 years of this "guessing and looking to blame others when it doesn't work" administration.

June 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  6. stevegee

Is our economy recovering? NObama.
    Has unemployment improved? NObama.
    Is federal spending under control? NObama.
    Are illegal immigrants being stopped? NObama.
    Is America better off than we were two and half years ago? NObama.
    Vote YES for Republicans in 2012.

June 29, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • jean2009

Actually the economy is improving, and productivity is up. Housing is the area that usually bring the economy back and that has been sluggish. Locally a condominium complex which started construction, in the spring of 2008, came to a complete halt and set idle with 3 units completed until this May. They are now building again.

America is better off than 2 1/2 years ago when we were losing massive numbers of jobs each month...at least now jobs are coming back. Maybe not at the rate you would like...but they are coming back. December 2008 524,000 jobs lost...all of 2008 there were: 2.6 million jobs lost....Obama wasn't president in 2008.

Now, what have you done to make yourself more job worthy? Therein lies the answer. Have you retrained for the new economy? Have you went back to school...taken any advanced classes?

Voting yes for Republicans is putting back the failed policy that caused the present problems.

Vote -Obama -Biden 2012

June 29, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
      • John

It is scarey that American people are simply following blindly without asking critical questions. 7 trillion dollars later, 4 % higher of unemployment since BO took office, experts say housing hasn't bottomed out yet, the government taking over a large percentage of our economy with health care, the auto industry and the housing market (over 750,000 homes owned by the government now), food and fuel numbers taken out of the equation as it relates to inflation (with inflation still rising), consumer confidence is at its lowest level since the depression, we are beginning to see a lack of primary care doctors – and people are avoiding getting into this field, 500 billion dollars being taken from medicare under the healthcare plan. Now we are hearing this administration wants to raise taxes and have another spending (stinulas) plan? America is not better off. At least not in my opinion.

June 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
      • Jay in NC

From the Dept. of Labor website. ...In the week ending June 18, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 429,000...New claims jean, 429,000 people lost their jobs last week.

June 29, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

John, either you value my comments or you disagree with them. You can't have it both ways! Furthermore, you don't tell me how to respond to any post on this blog that I disagree, nor agree with. Yes they do need even more of us telling them that they are wrong; and being tricked by the BUSHITES, who are resisting CHANGE; who wants EVERYTHING to stay the same! While protecting the wealthy and doing on our heads, we're all supposed ignore the GOP fact! No way buddy! Many, many of us are still not blinded, OK?

June 29, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • John

Again, I know it is very difficult for a dem to understand. I can value something, in this case your comments, and still disagree with it. I value our government and totally disagree with the way it is working now. I find it laughable that you are telling me I can't comment on your comments when I am referring to how you are telling another person what to think (with your comment). Again – only a dem... The anger against people who disagree with you is definitely making you blind or at least limiting what you see.

June 30, 2011 at 6:47 am |
      • John

BTW, I am not telling you to ignore – don't ignore, question everything (from both parties)... These people work for us. If Bush is/was creating loopholes that shouldn't exist we should call him on it and get rid of them. If "O" is spending like crazy to support unions and unnecessary entitlements we should call him on it. Talk to ANY small or large business owner – this administration is killing them and America. Without private business we are left with only governmnet jobs. That is not the America anyone should want – or support. I simply do not take serious what "O" says most of the time. Take yesterdays speech for example – if we got rid of the oil subsidies and raised the "private jet tax" it would take about 100 years to save what "O" spent this past February.

June 30, 2011 at 6:57 am |
      • Cweety

megsy Posted on Be guedid by the dogs personality when you get itYou may wish to name something that goes with the colours of your dog such as amber but whatever name you choose you will know instinctively that its right for herI called mine Gypsy because she had dark smudges around her eyes like a gypsy with kohl around her eyes chosen after much prior discussion about suitability of names and when I sighted her it just seemed right

March 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  8. EddieBk

Our country will never be the same until we get our jobs back. President Obama did not send our jobs overseas, the Republicans did thar. The sasm,e way he inheritated a war that was costing millions a day. What other country will let the US import thousands of cars...and then build factories here...with the factories they let in thousands of Japanese ofSUPPOSEDLY family members to show us how they build their cars.

June 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

When you post your comments on this blog, aren't you telling people what to think? Don't people write you back rebuttals, posting their disagreements because of this or that? Sometimes giving you articles, names and dates? That's what we're all doing, addressing or responding to each others opinions with our own! Your telling ME I shouldn't tell someone what to think, which I didn't, is wrong! I could accuse you of doing the same. You post hard 'telling' or trying to bring people to your way of thinking!!

June 30, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia

I don't have to question everything of both parties except when I have a question of both. Right now, I've questioned the TREASONISTIC behavior of the GOP, and am wondering why people like you aren't calling them out on it! Had the Dems done that to Bush, you conservatives would've been all up in the air, screaming that they were being communistic, anti-American, and insubordinate to the Office of the President! The GOP has proven themselves to simply be incapable of being subordinate to a black President!

July 2, 2011 at 9:05 pm |