Presidential seal recovered from Philly freeway
The Presidential Limousine, also known as "The Beast", in a motorcade line up outside of The White House.
July 4th, 2011

Presidential seal recovered from Philly freeway

Washington (CNN) - The round gold-trimmed presidential seal is an impressive symbol affixed to the door of the limousine known as "The Beast."

It appears to be a permanent part of the limo. But in reality, it's a magnetic seal that comes on and off, vulnerable to wind and elements just like anything we'd put on our own cars.

And Thursday night, the seal came off during the President Obama's motorcade to the airport after his fundraising visit to Philadelphia, ending up alongside Interstate 76.

Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan said Secret Service agents and Philadelphia police returned to the area off the freeway that night and looked for it, but were unable to find it in the dark.

But the next day, a Philadelphia police officer found it on the side of the road. The Philadelphia Daily News reports the officer had been part of the motorcade the night before, and was helping a disabled car when he spotted it.

It was brought to the Secret Service field office and is being returned to Washington.

"It happens periodically," Donovan said. "They're only magnetic. They're not put on any special way."

Topics: Secret Service • The Buzz

1. Tim

Just wait! The CONseritards will claim that some magic power made this happen and that it proves that OUR President, Barack H. Obama is some delegitimized random guy. I seriously don't understand how CONservitards can maintain the illusion that they have functioning grey matter. They don't get reality at all. They sit around watching FAUX news and laugh about real people who are trying to make the world a better place. They get all worked up about the 'debt' but don't even understand that 'debt' doesn't matter because we can make as much money as we want. All they really want to do is hurt OUR President Barack H. Obama. If they steal the election then they will act crazy and spend money like before, completely forgeting about being 'responsible'. They are crazy liars and racist. They have no idea what they are talking about and all they want to do is deny every real thing that real people talk about.
    Like climate change. That were in itself the most wonderful example. These crazy fools pretend that the climate doesn't actually change and so people should just forget about it. That is it for me. Anybody that ignorant is bad and I don't care what else they say because the fact is that the climate does change and its because of people not doing what they are supposed to do. They act that CONservitards and guess what?
    The climate DOES change!!
    I'm sick of people lying and being stupid about stuff.
    Obviously CONseritards just don't trust other people and so they don't want to cooperate in order to help those who want to help us. I think that is very selfish and stupid. Everybody could have more stuff if a few greedy millionaires and billionaires would just help out so that we could each share better.
    Why is that so hard to understand?

July 4, 2011 at 10:14 am |
    • Maggie

Why should millionaires and billionaires hand out their money to those lazy people who don't want to work for their money rather than accept hand-outs. They better get off their lazy butts and go to work and make their own money. Why should my tax dollars pay for these people to sit at home and watch TV or play video games all day. GET TO WORK AND DON'T LOOK FOR MY MONEY!!!!!! I am not rich but I make sure that I go to work and make my OWN money and do not depend on hand-outs. I suggest these people do the same.

July 4, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
      • Larry

Couldn't agree with you more Maggie! The reason why all the libtards love Obama is because he wants to do just what this guy Tim wants; take money from all of us hard working American's and give to the lazy couch sitting, TV watching people just because they don't have it and/or never will!! What a crock, can't wait for November 2012 to get this socialist out of office!!!

July 5, 2011 at 11:22 am |
      • kefa34

maggie
        Grace be with you mercy and peace from G-d the
        father and from the lord je-sus christ
        the son of the in truth and love .
        Blessed are the meek for they shall inhertthe earth .
        Let your light so shine before men that they may
        see your good works and glorify your father
        which is in heaven.
        my wife and I worked hard we was with a big firm
        the firm went to china and lay off 60%of the work force in american
        many of my colleague like me lost our minds heart and soul
        if you ever see american please tell them we are willing to work
        we are willing to feed our familes we are willing to pay our way infact we wont to
        hope that you join the family of jesus may jesus continue to bless you maggie
        we think it is great that you can still feed your family many can not it is very hard for them
        keep the american families who are hurting in pray may jesus alway bless maggie and her family.

July 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Howard

HERE IS OBAMA'S RESPONSE WHEN HE BACKED OFF FROM HIS DECISION TO REQUIRE THE MILITARY PAY FOR THEIR WAR INJURIES.

"Look, it's an all volunteer force," Obama complained. "Nobody made these guys go to war. They had to have known and accepted the risks. Now they whine about bearing the costs of their choice? It doesn't compute.." "I thought these were people who were proud to sacrifice for their country, "Obama continued "I wasn't asking for blood, just money. With the country facing the worst financial crisis in its history, I'd have thought that the patriotic thing to do would be to try to help reduce the nation's deficit.. I guess I underestimated the selfishness of some of my fellow Americans."

July 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
      • Dick Fitzwell

Sadly Howard is one of those that takes that anonymous internet chain email smear as gospel. Look it up Howard. Everything you attributed to Obama is FALSE. He said none of that. It says a lot about the right that story's have to be made up to smear Obama.

July 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
      • jean2009

@Howard you wouldn't know truth if it hit you in the face. Check this out at snopes com.

This is taken from a satirical piece written by ultra conservative John Semmens published on March 21, 2009 and was false from the start.

Secondly, you knew very well when you posted this quote again...that it isn't true since I have called you for previously posting this falsehood.

You do know that repeatedly posting lies make you a liar?

July 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
    • John

I have one of these magnatic signs on my truck. I've had it for years and it has never fallen off – this one falls off "often". Even signs know they are working for the governmnet?

July 5, 2011 at 8:39 am |
      • jean2009

And I'm sure it happened when Bush was president, but you didn't think it worthy of a moronic post. After all Donavon said "this happens periodically"...so I assume this is not the first, second or even the third time something like this has happened.

On a side note: I do understand that the newer the paint finish and the higher the wax finish and the more recently the wax was applied, the more likely it is a magnetic sign will fall off.

It is recommended that fresh wax be allowed to cure 2 days before reapplying a magnetic sign, and if the vehicle has a newly painted finish it be allowed 90 days to cure before applying any magnetic sign. I'm sure the "beast" for being spit and polish clean is kept in peak condition, at all times. Have you ever seen it photographed when it wasn't waxed and sparkling clean?

Directions for "Car Door Magnetic Sign Care" from the Suremark signs website.

July 5, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • John

First – trust, but verify. 2nd – $200,000 million and billionares? So much for avoiding a class war.. I guess this is all he has to run on for 2012.

July 5, 2011 at 8:42 am |
  2. Liz Carter in Georgia

Maggie; I'm not rich either, but I'm paying taxes into the system too. I'm sure that a large portion of all AMERICANS who work pay into the 'social' system called welfare assistance. This system was set up to aid and assist our fellow Americans who are unable to work like others of us do. I worked in the medical field and insurance, starting at age 15 when I recieved my workers permit while still in HS. I started paying into the system way back then. I accepted the fact that others weren't as blessed as I.

July 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  3. Liz Carter in Georgia

Ctd; I eventually landed a job, which turned into a 32 year career with the government. Of course I paid federal and state taxes, social security/pension, medicare, personal health insurance, union dues, and one or two other items were withheld from my salary. I'm retired now and those taxes and medical insurance are still being withheld. Also being witheld is my ongoing medicare premium, so I'm still not selfish enough to feel that I'm not 'my brothers' keeper'! It's not always by choice people can't work!

July 4, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  4. Liz Carter in Georgia

My question to you is, exactly what people do you claim just don't want to work; want to sit on their butts, watch TV, play video games, and collect hand-outs? Have checked to see if they are unemployable for any reason, have you checked to see if they've been disabled, disenfranchised, black-balled, shut out of the job markets for any of the many possible reasons? Should we as AMERICANS turn a death ear and a blind eye to our own, yet our taxes go overseas to support others health, education and welfare?

July 4, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

To the millionaires, billionaires and trillionaires....'To whom much is given, much is required'. If we have to pay our fair share out of our hard-earned wages, you should pay your fair taxes out of your profits. Pay your fair share of taxes. This request is not a 'tax hike' or a 'raising' of your taxes; this is a roll back of the BUSH tax cuts, that you have enjoyed for 10 years! Now is when you'd start back paying what you could and should have been paying all along! STOP CALLING IT A TAX HIKE', IT'S NOT!

July 4, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • Jay in NC

If eliminating the President Bush tax cuts would solve our economic problems, why did Barry extend them? He had his chance twice to eliminate this evil tax holiday for the rich. Last month he said he said the tax cuts should be extended for one more year. My oh my, what a tangled web you Liberals weave.

July 6, 2011 at 7:22 am |
  6. Liz Carter in Georgia

Howard, you are crazy!

July 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • John

A governmnet worker. This explains alot...

July 5, 2011 at 8:36 am |
      • jean2009

Doesn't matter, Liz is right.

July 5, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

I think its just one more case of him falling weak to you and your conservative ideology, yet you ALL continue to complain about his handling of the economy and his NOT doing what you say do! When even his own base is preturbed with his caving in! If he steps up and says 'NO, it won't happen, I won't do it', you all kick and scream that he isn't trying to work with Congress; including some of his own 'WEAK' constituents! They are a poisonous thorn in his side. We do question that! OBAMA! You're the decider!

July 6, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
  8. Liz Carter in Georgia

The GOP would be satisfied if they could make him do any and every thing they tell him to do! That way it would insure his NOT being re-elected by all of us who put him in the first time. I can only hope from now on, he stands up to them and put his own agenda forward; which was what we all expected of him, and forget them! They never planned to work with him from the start. They're just a bunch of obstructionistic antagonists, who have one mission: MAKE HIM A ONE TERM PRESIDENT! It's a sad day in AMERICA!

July 6, 2011 at 7:56 pm |