Political leaders plan another day of deficit-reduction talks
July 10th, 2011

Political leaders plan another day of deficit-reduction talks

By CNN's Deirdre Walsh and Jessica Yellin

Washington (CNN) - A day after a 75-minute session, talks will resume Monday to try to reach a deficit-reduction deal and pave the way for a hike in the nation's $14.3 trillion debt ceiling, a White House spokesman said Sunday.

White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer said on his Twitter account on Sunday night that congressional leaders will return to the White House for further negotiations on Monday. At 11 a.m. that same morning, President Barack Obama will hold a press conference in the White House briefing room, according to his official schedule.

These announcements are the first formal fall-out of Sunday's night talks on the subject, led by the president and involving top politicians from the House and Senate.

When asked before the meeting's start if a deal could be reached within 10 days, Obama told reporters, "We need to."

FULL POST

Topics: Congress • Deficit reduction • The News

« Previous entry
  1. David Meadors

Why are Republicans so not willing to work for the middle class? I'm middle class and I say we got a debt to pay down so lets do it! We need to put more taxes into paying for it as well as cutting spending. Cut ALL loopholes and subsidies and put back taxes to what they were before the Bush tax cut...for everyone. I've never seen so many freakn babies in high ranking areas..especially Republicans! What an embarrassment!

July 10, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
    • jean2009

David they don't want a middle-class they want serfs willing to grub for less than minimum wage. They have basically since Reagan declared war on the middle-class.

While testifying in front of the Minnesota Senate in 2005, Michele Bachmann said, “Literally, if we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.”

July 12, 2011 at 11:14 am |
      • Jay in NC

Is a person better off having a job for $6 per hour or no job at all?

July 12, 2011 at 11:32 am |
      • jean2009

Where did you get the $5. figure?

According to your airhead idol Michelle Bachmann she wants people to work for FREE.

”Many teenagers that come in should be paying the employer because of broken dishes or whatever occurs during that period of time. But you know what? After six months, that teenager is going to be a fabulous employee and is going to go on a trajectory where he’s going to be making so much money, we’ll be borrowing money from him.” —Michele Bachmann, 1/26/05, explaining why teenagers should pay employers for the privilege of working instead of receiving minimum wage.

July 12, 2011 at 11:40 am |
      • Jay in NC

I do not support no pay, however many people take internships because they learn how the industry works. This is a very common practice in the tech jobs. My point is is a person better having some job than no job. Pick any amount of pay.

Don't think of the gov paying, don't think of your academic situations, but the real world, real people paying for small labor jobs. Is the worker better for having a job or no job?

July 12, 2011 at 11:58 am |
      • jean2009

Correction $6.

Personally I feel minimum wage should be a living wage.

May I suggest reading: "The Who and Why of the Minimum Wage:Raising the Wage Floor is essential to support working families." – August 6, 2004 Jeff Chapman/Mark Ettlinger....at the Economic Policy Institute website www epi org

July 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
      • jean2009

Jay:
        Internships are when a college student takes an internship that will look good on their resume....and from experience, I know not all students can afford to take the internship and continue college. They need income to meet the expenses of the next term, or the travel expenses, rent ,and other costs they would incur would make accepting prohibitive. So, then only the wealthiest students (not necessarily the most qualified) can afford to take an internship.

The answer would be first... it would depend on if the unemployed qualifies for unemployment benefits;
        second....what expenses would they incur if they took a lower paying job...a low paying jobs where you couldn't afford child care costs would not work for many unemployed women, or men with families, then include transportation costs.

For the majority of situations job applicants shouldn't be faced with a less than minimum wage job choice. Doing so only acerbates other problems...and knowing you, they are problems you complain loudly about.

If you really want to quit paying for welfare, WIC , and Medicaid then you need to think about how to make these subsidies to poorer families unattractive ... I feel the best way to do that, is to offer jobs that pay a living wage.
        Pulling one person at a time out of poverty with a living wage is the best way to improve this country.

July 12, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
      • kefa34

The Lord is my shepherd i shall not want
        he makes me lie down in green pastures
        he lead me beside still water
        he restores my soul
        he leads me in the right path
        for his name sake
        even though i walk through the darkest
        valley
        i fear no evil
        for you with me
        your rod and your staff
        they comfort me .

July 12, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  2. anonymous

July 10, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
    • kefa34

The Republicans Belive The Wagon Train Will Not
      Make it to the frontier unless some of our old some
      of our young and some of our weak are left behind
      by the side of the trail .
      we democrats belive that ,
      we can make it all the way with the whole family intact .

July 12, 2011 at 10:43 am |
  3. anonymous

August 27, 1999 Delivered via: Fed Ex

President William Clinton
    The White House
    1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
    Washington, DC 20500

Dear President Clinton,

In the early 90's during the Bush Administration I was approached by two men who began their conversation by asking me if I believe in GOD. After my reply, in short one of the men said good because they had information about me which they knew to be factual. They told me the information that had been discovered indicated I would save the life of a man in a city somewhere within the southeastern United States. They believed the city would most likely be Huntsville, Alabama. They also said I would marry that same man. I asked them whether or not they knew if this was someone I had already met. They said they didn't know for sure but because of other information they had they didn't believe he would be someone I had already met. They told me the man I would save would be the "SON OF GOD".

As unbelievable as this was, I continued the conversation by asking how they knew this for a fact. They stated that it had been discovered the Bible, actually Torah, was coded and their information was taken from it. When I said I would have to see it to believe it, they told me first of all I would have to know original Hebrew since the Torah was written in original Hebrew. They spoke further about other related subjects ranging from "Pink Floyd" to how one of the guy's couldn't understand why I would be the one he would marry. I asked them when they thought this would happen and their answer was they weren't sure but they thought it would be within the next ten years. The last statement made was from one of the men who said, "when I clap my hands together, you will not remember this conversation". He smiled, clapped his hands together once and I walked away.

As it turned out, in late September 1994, I drove a newly found friend of mine to Huntsville, Alabama to get his belongings to take back to Atlanta. That was my first and last trip to Huntsville after talking to the men. To make a long scary story short, we were not able to get his belongings and both narrowly escaped with our lives during an encounter with Marqua Arseneau, Ann Arseneau and Ann's boyfriend Jimmy. My friend became so upset after the ordeal he began to vomit blood. He then passed out in the back of my car and I drove him back to Atlanta in the night not knowing if he was dead or alive. During the drive my memory of the aforementioned began to trickle back into my mind. I then realized who was in the back of my car.

Over the last few years my memory has slowly come back to me in astonishing detail. I not only remember these two men who informed me of the Bible/Torah Code, I remember several conversations of the same subject which either I have had or I have overheard. My memory of such spans a period of over 30 years.

As for my friend, he is now my husband. Enclosed you will find his picture. He has no first hand knowledge of any of this, however, I have told him everything I know. For the record, my husband Jason continues not to believe what the men said and maintains he will have to have more proof before he believes it. I can certainly understand that given what happened 2,000 years ago. By their own admission, the two men I spoke of above did not know the identity of who they knew would be the "SON OF GOD". Basically they were planning to find him by waiting for the same as said to unfold. I can only assume they worked for the Bush Administration or one of the federal agencies or bureaus during the time. I thank GOD they did not know his identity. Don't misunderstand me, I have great respect for former President Bush.

I was wondering if you knew why the Sunday before Easter is called Palm Sunday. It seems not much has changed in the last 2,000 years.

In GOD we trust,
    Mrs. Jason Palm

Photo can be seen at facebook link below:

Go to photos once on the facebook link.

July 10, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  4. anonymous

Reid, McCain, Petraeus, and as you said yourself, Bone'er. I know everything. I mean everything.

July 10, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • jean2009

ARRRRGH! You are off topic again.

July 11, 2011 at 11:55 am |
      • kefa34

the richest man is the one with the most powerful friends
        the strongest man needs friends .
        may the power of G-d help us all over the evils of today .

July 11, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
      • John

Jean, I almost never agree with you, but I sure do agree with you on this one...

July 12, 2011 at 7:38 am |
      • kefa34

politics cannot stop to study psychology its methods
        are rough its judgments rougher still .

July 12, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  5. kefa34

let us not seek the republican answer or the democratic answer
    but the right answer
    let us not seek to fix the blame for the past.
    let us accepts our own responsibility for the future.

July 12, 2011 at 9:38 am |
    • Surabhi

The problem with Herman Cain ruinnng is that he is ruinnng on the platform of We need to run the government like a company. Some people, including myself until recently, actually believed that to be true. We need a business man to run this country like a business and make us prosperous again. Thing is, the government is not a business. A business provides a product to the public in hopes of making a profit. The government, by its Constitutional definition, cannot provide us with a product. Sure it tries to provide us with some forms of welfare, but the fact remains that the government doesn't have a Constitutional right to provide a service like a business. Also, a business seeks to maximize its profits. How does the government maximize profits? They raise taxes. That's why they call taxes revenues. It sounds nicer than profits. Have you ever noticed that when a politician says Increase revenues they usually mean Raise taxes ? People don't like the sound of raising taxes, but raising revenue has a better ring to it.To say we need to run the government like a business, like Mr. Cain and a few of his fellow Republicans think, is to say that the government needs to raise a profit (read, government needs to raise taxes) to provide the public with (unconstitutional) services. At least with an actual business you have a choice whether or not to give them your business. With this company you have no choice. They literally steal the money right from your paycheck. Businesses have competitors that they need to compete with for your business. Government does not. To say government should be treated like a business is to misunderstand the role of both businesses and government.That's my problem with Cain. He might have been great as the head of Godfather's Pizza and the National Restaurant Association. But a President needs more experience than just economics. They have to have a good understanding of a variety of issues, especially a grasp on the Constitution since they take an oath to preserve, protect and defend it. Unfortunately, just about every President and politician ignore it as a stupid piece of paper.Look at Cain's positions on the issues. What's his foreign policy stance? I'll do whatever my generals tell me. But, sir, you are the Commander in Chief of the US Military. You are above them. What's his view on abortion? If should be illegal but it should be a woman's personal choice, but I'm 100% pro-life and want it illegal. What?Government doesn't create jobs. They only create an environment in which job creation is possible.Lastly, I'm tired of race politics. Let's ignore the fact that the Democratic party is the reason for why blacks are in the economic situation they are in. Seriously though. I'm tired of being told that since I'm hispanic I should be voting Democrat. I'm sorry, but race politics is low and yes racist no matter who uses it or what party. By saying the black vote, the latino vote, the female vote is to marginalize and cause division. I am no fan of Teddy Roosevelt, but he said it best: There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic. When Mr. Cain entered the race I hoped he would not stoop down to making race an issue. As a libertarian Republican, I am disappointed in him for crying racism where it does not exist and yet turning around and blaming Democrats when they do the exact same thing.

July 30, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
  6. kefa34

under democracy one party always devotes its '
    chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is'
    unfit to rule and both commonly succeed and are
    right.

July 12, 2011 at 9:57 am |
    • Lethicia

lakesriversoceans on August 15, 2011 Wow! this is very creative Wow! Wow! Wow! U got to see right now this NEW music video about Dropping POUNDS-Shedding Weight & it's a part of a 12 video SERIES claled: I like the way you move by JM (JM THE MASTER MINUTE)

July 31, 2012 at 1:48 am |
    • Sarah

I was searching on bing when I found your site. So much of what you say is true. I got alot from this post, I'm going to add your rss feed to my Google redaer. Thanks!

August 2, 2012 at 1:27 am |
  7. kefa34

The trouble with this country is that there are too'
    many politicians who believe with a conviction based
    on experience that you can fool all the people all ,
    of the time .

July 12, 2011 at 10:07 am |
  8. kefa34

whenever a man reaches the top of the political
    ladder his enemies unite to pull him down his
    friends become critical and exacting.

July 12, 2011 at 10:13 am |
  9. kefa34

my country tis of thee
    sweet land of liberty
    of thee i sing
    land where my fathers died
    land of the pilgrims pride
    from everymountain side
    let freedom ring
    our fathers G-d to thee
    author of liberty
    to thee we sing
    long may our land be bright
    with freedom holy light
    protect us by thy might
    great G-d our king .

July 12, 2011 at 10:23 am |
    • jean2009

Did you win the quotation lotto?

July 12, 2011 at 11:05 am |
      • kefa34

we been given the constitution and the bible
        shall i qoute those .

July 12, 2011 at 11:22 am |
      • kefa34

the light of G-d surrounds american
        the love of G-d enfolds american
        the power of G-d protects american
        the presence of G-d watches over american
        where ever american is G-d is .

July 12, 2011 at 11:26 am |
      • kefa34

jean you will love this .
        the constitution is the supreme law of of our land and
        it govern our action as citizens only the laws of G-d which
        govern our conscious are superior to it .

forgive and you will be forgiven jean
        there is too much hate let the power of G-d
        run our life may G-d bless you .

July 12, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  10. kefa34

the enumeration in the constitution of certain rights shall not
    be construed to deny or disparrage others retained by the people.

July 12, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  11. Liz Carter in Georgia

...Thou preparest a table before me in presence of mine ENEMIES; thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me, all of the days of my life; and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever. The 23 PSALM of David. Thankyou LORD.

July 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
    • Jay in NC

jean made fun of Backmann simply because she believes in God.

July 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
      • jean2009

NOT!

People have a right to believe in any form of God they choose, but I do not believe those people who believe in God should think what they believe must be mandatory for everyone else.

How's that Bachmann -Gay-Cure Therapy Clinic news shaking out for you?

July 13, 2011 at 11:33 am |
      • Jay in NC

Jean said that this was one of the Craziest Michele Bachmann Quotes Ever.

"There are hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel Prizes, who believe in intelligent design." -Rep. Michele Bachmann, Oct. 2006

It is clear that jean was making fun of her personal belief in God. Most Liberals do not believe that God had a hand in creating and shape the world.

As far as the gay cure issue. First I would say that I do not know what they tried int he clinics, I do not know if they were helpful or not. It should be investigated.

However I would wold like to ask you this question. Do you think it is possible that a person could suppress their homosexuality and live a life as a heterosexual? Only to one day 'come out' as their true self? If the answer is yes, then why is it so hard for you to think that it could happen in reverse. That a person could live as a homosexual then one day come to a realization that they are heterosexual. That then this person may want to seek help in dealing with their feelings.

July 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
      • jean2009

Jay, when you meet a family who has a 6 year old girl that knows and gives every indication that she will be gay...you know better.

July 13, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  12. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jean, I feel the same way that you do about peoples spirituality. I don't believe that what I believe should be mandatorily placed on everyone else to believe. I don't mind confessing my belief, but I don't expect everyyone else to believe as I do! I was asked right through this blog by Jay, I think, what did I think about gay marriage. I answered, using the same measure that I saw abortion issue. Personally, my faith doesn't give ME the permission to accept it on face value as 'morally' right for me...>

July 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  13. Liz Carter in Georgia

...however, I have the good sense to know that what's morally correct and especially for me, is not the moral standard set for everyone; and moral standards vary when it comes to civil standards and politically correctness. I believe that is where the 'separation of church and state' enters the question. I said in my answer that if it came to a point that I had to vote 'yes' or 'no' for gay marriage, I would have to vote 'yes', as I did for abortion years ago. One's responsible for his own soul's salvation!

July 13, 2011 at 8:28 pm |