The President's schedule Friday Aug. 5
August 5th, 2011

The President's schedule Friday Aug. 5

One day after turmoil in the stock market and as the July jobs numbers are due out, the president is talking about jobs and veterans this morning at Washington's Navy Yard.  We'll look to see comments on the economic situation.  There is no briefing today.

10:00AM THE PRESIDENT receives the Presidential Daily Briefing/ Oval Office/ Closed Press

11:00AM THE PRESIDENT delivers remarks on the Administration's work to prepare our nation's veterans for the workforce/ Washington Navy Yard/ Open Press

2:15PM THE PRESIDENT departs forCamp David  /South Lawn/ Open Press

Topics: Daily Schedule

1. Bill in STL

There seems to be one missing item on this schedule....

August 6, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  2. Antoinette Actlis

August 6, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • jean2009

My husband has MS...take care.

August 8, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  3. Jay in NC

Camp David, again? This guy loves his vacations.

August 6, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • jean2009

"President Bush recently spent his 879th day at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, since the Supreme Court, in all its great wisdom, elevated him to the presidency. This according to NPR's "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me," which noted that Bush broke former President Reagan's record for taking vacations from the White House. It's interesting to recall, all these wild years later, that George W. Bush did not decide to buy the ranch near Crawford until after he decided to run for president. Apparently, after Ronald Reagan's example, it seemed presidential to cut brush on a ranch, and Bush was seeking a brush with history. Or something"

You know, the "busy schedule" that has room for 879 days down on the ranch – which, if you're into arithmetic, works out to around 30 percent of eight years." That doesn't include the 487 days at Camp David and the 43 days at Kennebunkport. ...for some reason I thought it was 490 at the Crawford Ranch....in any case that record is going to be hard to beat regardless of whether it was 490 or 879.

-Record Breaker ! Bush Takes Most Vacation Days For Sitting President -CBS 2008-The Daily Iowan – via U-WIRE

August 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
      • Jay in NC

Again that Liberal double standard. OK for Barry not for President Bush.

August 6, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
      • jean2009

@Jay I'm just saying you will have a right to discuss vacations when President Obama tops either G. W. Bush or Ronald Reagan....until then what you say isn't worth complaining about.

At this point President Obama has spent – 35 days at Camp David and 58 days on vacation.

August 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  4. Antoinette Actlis

I am truly disappointed in the events that just happened. I am an individual with MS and i am on disability, can't understand how my benefits could have been put in jeopardy. I don't understand the utter disrespect that is shown for this President. I have never seen a President be treated this way. I'm starting to wonder is it because he's black? I say to Obama and the Democrats that it's time to fight back. The Republicans are acting like bullies and Mr.President I need you to fight for me and those like me. Please do what is best for us, the little people. It is time for us all to fight back. So stand up and help the President save this country! Oh and now they have the nerve to blame the downgrade on him, no it isn't so. Republicans you all created this mess and we all know it. Look at what your doing to this country.Take credit for what you've done don't shift the blame!

August 6, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • jean2009

Sum up Jay and you get a picture of what is happening....

August 8, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

From where I sit, this President has earned every hour so far of 'vacation' he's ever taken away from the Whitehouse and Washington. He's had more hurdles to jump, more obstacles, obstinancy, and obstruction to face, more over-the-top hate, degradation, bigotry, undermining sabatoge, insubordination, and acts of treason lodged against him, than any other President has ever had to put up with; as he continues to try to fly above the fray of antagonism and ill-repuke! OBAMA deserves every day he can get!!

August 6, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  6. Liz Carter in Georgia

Tell it again Jean. You see, certain people like to 'bash' our PRESIDENT on any and every little thing, whether it be professionally or personally; but when we start making the true comparisons of his records vs BUSHs', they turn right around and try to play the 'you all bash 'President' Bush card' back at us. They're a pitiful, pathetic bunch of cons wanting to have it both ways. They can 'bash'. We can't or we'll be called out as being unfair! They must think we're stupid or something! Think again folks!

August 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

We liberals didn't give a hoot about how many vacations BUSH nor any other past President took! At least I didn't; didn't even notice them nor cared! I didn't even hear about them from the media, nor do I remember anyone on the blogs complaining and keeping up with them minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day! When YOU double-standard 'cons' decided to keep an OBAMA VACATION JOURNAL, is when we decided to go back and look up BUSHS' VACATION schedule. We really didn't care! Looks like maybe we should've!

August 7, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
    • Jay in NC

You say Liberals do not care how many vacations President Bush took? Another Liberal lie. Jean, the ever cut-and-paste queen posted an article about President Bush taking his vacation. So, Liz tells lies to defend the love of her life. What's new.

August 8, 2011 at 8:33 am |
      • jean2009

@ Jay ......spoken like the true King of cut & paste..

August 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  8. maikl

WHERE IS YES WE CAN , WHERE IS CHANGE? HE SAID FRIDAY , HE DID NOT PROMISE IT'S WILL NEXT DAY OR NEXT WEEK. I LIKE IT . HE IS 2.12 YEARS PRESIDENT AND STILL NOT TOMORROW. WHAT A JOKE THIS PRESIDENT.

August 7, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Another Liberal lie. This guy did promise change soon. That unemployment would say below 8%.

August 8, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

No! I said 'liberals DIDN'T give a hoot about how many vacations BUSH nor any other past President took'. Will you read my post again of August 7, 2011 at 9:34 pm ET? LIES?!? We didn't care! If there were anyone concerned about ALL of their vacations, they weren't made a big deal of! Furthermore, I DON'T HAVE TO LIE! My truth unravels you antagonists more! I'll continue to point out YOUR double-standards against who you refer to as the love of my life, every chance I get, because it's blatant, racist hate!

August 8, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • Jay in NC

But Liberals did give a hoot, that is the point of Jean2009's post. That in the past Liberals complained about Crawford TX. She sited 2 news stories about this issue. Typical Liberal hypocrite.

You are a racist Liz, anyone can see just look at the post you made on August 6, 2011 at 7:47 pm. Attack children for their hair color, racial trait. And make fun of them because they are from a broken home. Liberals are the least tolerant. And you a self described Christian black woman, cutting children down for your president. Sick, racist Liz. Here is the link. Now all the world cans just how racist Liz Carter of Georgia can be.

August 8, 2011 at 11:24 am |
      • jean2009

No..... just setting you straight for your pettiness...and I might add your racist demeanor.

Frankly, I have seen many different races with red hair....so no it is not a racial slur. Red hair has been found among Polynesians, an ancient tribe in northwest China, Australian aborigines, African-Americans, there is even currently a red-headed Mexican boxer. So there you go making something over nothing.

I'm liberal and proud of it. Heaven knows I would be angry and upset if anyone called me a teapotty conservative.

August 8, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
      • jean2009

Frankly....George W. Bush would have done us all a monumental favor had he just stayed at the ranch and did nothing. But, unlike you and your petty stupidity.....I know every president including George W. Bush is at work 24/7 and 365 a year regardless of wherever they happen to be.

August 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
      • jean2009

@ Jay...btw it is also reported that the biblical King David had red hair, as did The Queen of Morocco, Lalla Salma wife of king Mohammed VI.

According to legend, the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl, was characterized by light skin, red hair, and light eyes, and was supposed to return to earth. Which would mean the Aztecs had previously encountered red hair.

For an updated thought about the phrase "tar baby" and includes referring to the president as "Boy"..
        I would suggest reading:The Detroit Free Press article by Kim Trent – "Guest Commentary-When is a racist term not racist?
        @

August 8, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
      • Jay in NC

@Jean and Liz, So thinking that they are talking about beating a red-headed black steep-child makes it OK?

August 10, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia

You are pitiful Jay! I'm not a racist. If I was, I'd be bold enough, old enough, and honest enough to say it! You know, I think I'm grown enough and experienced-taught enough to claim it; unlike most coward racists/supremasts who'd rather hide under your sheets, hoods, skulls & cross-bones, and swatshstickers, sitting up on the blog, denouncing and denying their personal ownerships of it's rage as being one of the main reasons our country's being 'politically' undermined through sabatoge and anti-OBAMAism!

August 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  11. Liz Carter in Georgia

BTW, I think the world is getting a bigger kick out of reading your posts Jay! LOL! Sad! Sad! Sad! NC....LOL! Just like Georgia.You don't fool the 'intellect'!

August 8, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  12. Liz Carter in Georgia

Thanks Jean.

August 9, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  13. Chris P. in Texas

@ Liz & Jean...Wow you gals fight soooo hard for this President even when the facts speak for themselves. 2 years of a Democrat House and Senate and the only thing we have to show for it is an ever worsening debt issue, a monstrous government health care act which will run up our debt tab to even more dizzying heights, continual high unemployment, the attempted destruction of the American oil industry, escalation of the war in Afghanistan, promised to close Gitmo but hasn't, the US credit rating downgrade which has also resulted in Freddie & Fannie getting downgraded too, Auto maker bailouts, and a 73% "wrong track" poll which means a GROWING majority of Americans feeling that his leadership is seriously lacking. And to claim that three quarters of Americans are racist in their view of him is simply wrong. Believing that you would see horrendous and dispicable things said and done to ALL people of color every day since you claim it because of his skin color which the same as yours (your claim not mine)....these are simply ridiculous and unintelligent claims. No ladies, I'm not a fan of this president but it's because of the things he's said and done as our President and I could care less what race he is. I'm sure he's a nice guy and a decent father and husband but my honest opinion of his job performance and his leadership is that he has not proven himself up to the task....

August 11, 2011 at 2:55 am |
  14. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, What are you talking about? I don't understand your question to me and Jean. Your post of August 10, 2011 9:21 pm ET is confusing. 'So thinking that they are talking about beating a red-head black 'step' not steep-child is OK'? They who? Talking about what? I mean what are you talking about? I, not Jean, set forth an example of how I see the President being treated by many. YOU tried to turn my example into something racist! Jean only dissed your stupid, petty efforts t to again, 'cut' me as a racist.

August 11, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  15. Liz Carter in Georgia

I am asking you again...when did I ever use the word 'beat' a red-headed step-child in my original post? You need to give it up Jay....it's not working! Not against me anyway; maybe YOU'RE putting your big foot into your own mouth! Showing YOUR true colors! Don't try to add nor subtract your words to my comment to change the connotation of my intent and meaning of the phrase.

August 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  16. Liz Carter in Georgia

Chris P. in Texas; and Bush was a great example of leadership, who got an 'A' on job performance and proved over and over beyond a reasonable doubt he was up to the task, huh? Chris...'facts' do not only measure OBAMAS' perfomance, they have also measured BUSHS' and every other president that have passed through the Whitehouse. Our problems with the rules of measuring this time is how soon some of you forget! Furthermore, this time, most of the measuring is oftentimes an embellishment of the truth! LIES!

August 11, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Antoinette Actlis

Liz I agree with you, I think people who are saying your racist are only showing who they are. I will say again that I can't remember any President being this disrespected. Disagree with him but don't disrespect him. Let's not forget that the House is working against him, Congress needs to hurry up and come together.

August 12, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  17. Chris P. in Texas

Ma'am, you mistake me for a Bush apologist. Not really that guy. Do I think Bush was better than Obama? Yes but not by nearly as much as you assume. And why does every criticism of Obama have to go down one of the two very predictable roads of either racism or Bush was worse? While you did your duty as a loyal Dem by sticking up for your guy you did not actually defend any of the points I've brought up. I understand if you don't have a case to make for his actions, I honestly can't either, don't blame you. But screaming LIES doesn't make the case either. Example: Maybe he is not really a Marxist, though he's said himself that he "sought out the Marxist professors" at university so it's not a far leap to assume he leans that way. I disagree emphatically the Marxism & socialism are good and worthy concepts for our nation hence my distrust for what MAY be some of his core principles based on his own stated experiences. Socialism vs Capitalism and how he thinks about that dichotomy vs what think about it have nothing to do with his skin color.

Maybe his intentions are well meaning. Again, I'm sure he's a good guy at heart but the country is a raging mess right now and he seems to be exacerbating the biggest problems we're having right now and not moving the needle on fixing them. And YES many before him, of both parties, are largely responsible for the long road of economic and cultural demise we've constructed going all the way back to the New Deal and the War on Poverty. Absolving him of all of the problems that preceded him STILL does not earn him a pass for his failings as a leader TODAY. Again, the majority of his term so far he's had the House and Senate and didn't need one single Republican vote to do whatever he and his party wanted to so....where's the results?

August 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Antoinette Actlis

As I have said before it is time for him to fight and put into action his thoughts and plans, and we as his supporters need to do just that support him. Stop worrying about making people mad, they are already mad. You can't please everyone sometimes you just have too do what you feel is right. He walked into a mess and it's time to clean house.

August 12, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
      • C-Lo

Antoinette:
        You don't seem to get it. "just support the president" is the exact mindset that Chris is warning against. Yes, you may believe that BO walked into a mess created by Bush, (some of us believe it has to do wih the Dem congress elected starting in 06). But either way, "just support[ing]" him out of blind allegience is just as bad. As an example–if Bush started a grease fire and you saw Obama throwing water on it, would you just continue to hand him buckets of water or would you want him to stop and seek a new course of fire mitigation? There are policies dating back decades that in and of themselves seem good, but when taken together they have created this mess. Blame Bush, blame Reagan, blame Clinton, Ried, Boehner, Pelosi, Carter, JFK or FDR.

The simple fact of the matter is we have a grease fire and Obama's policies are water. And while I'm on my high horse I'd like the honest answer to the following question from anyone–if Bush's tax cut was such a bane on the middle class and job creation, and Obama had the gall to stand up to the Tea Party Repub's during the last debt ceiling debate, why in the world did he sign the extention of the tax cuts?
        1. The tax-cuts are actually deemed an effective tool for the economy
        2. Obama doesn't know what he's doing (i.e. cannot truly lead)
        3. He sways with the wind; or
        4. He doesn't care about the middle class anymore than what he accuses republicans of.
        And No you cannot say that "he was held hostage" because the actions between the tax cut extention and the debt ceiling debate are contradictory.

August 17, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  18. InObamaWeTrust

President Obama is way too good for the office of the presidency.

August 13, 2011 at 1:30 am |
  19. Chris P. in Texas

What exactly is it about him that you believe in? Is it just a vibe or something? Is is just that he's NOT a Republican? From your post I couldn't derive specifically WHY you support him.

August 15, 2011 at 10:50 am |
  20. Chris P. in Texas

If he's too good for the office I would recommend he resign asap and get on with retirement....

August 15, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  21. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Chris P. in Texas; you're soooo right! But are you reading and listening at all? Jean has been diligent on giving the blog the 'facts'. She's been accused of being the 'cut and paste Queen' by a 'cut and paste King'! She's not just coming off the top of her head, you know. That let's me know that it's NOT all about her, she IS about the factual truth! It comes down to whose set of facts would you rather use, the Kings or the Queens? Oh! My bad! Of course, it's the KINGS'! It's your choice TEXAN!

August 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  22. Chris P. in Texas

Ok so have I gotten names mixed up here or something? And was that a disdainful "TEXAN" from you? Sorry, so many libs & obamopologists at this site making snarky comments I can't tell who has a legitimate opinion or what. Regardless I'm still not hearing any arguments posted FOR his policies. 'Yes we can' is not a very specific approach, just a bumper sticker slogan. I'm still not inspired...oh well...my search for more substantive debate with the left goes on....

August 17, 2011 at 4:29 pm |