Obama and the Cheeseheads
August 12th, 2011

Obama and the Cheeseheads

(WASHINGTON) - President Obama welcomed the Green Bay Packers to the White House South Lawn this afternoon to celebrate their Super Bowl victory last February. He said it was a pretty difficult thing to do considering he's a Chicago Bears fan.

"This hurts a little bit.  This is a hard thing for a Bears fan to do.  It doesn’t hurt as much as the NFC Championship game hurt - but it still hurts - you guys coming to my house to rub it in," Obama said. "What are you going to do - go to Ditka’s house next?"

He also welcomed the fact that the NFL lockout had ended.

"Like every football fan, I was thrilled to have the lockout ended.  Nobody likes long, frustrating negotiations with a rigid opposition, taking it to the brink," he joked.

The president received the standard gift of a team jersey- this time it was the number one with the name "Commander in Chief". Charles Woodson, defensive back for the Packers, also presented Obama with a part ownership of the Green Bay Packers, which is the only publicly owned professional sports team.

"All the fans own the team, and it hurts us a little bit to give you this, as well but we give you shares of the Green Bay Packers," Woodson said.

"We figured this is the only way we could get you away from the Bears," added head coach Mike McCarthy.

Topics: President Obama • Super Bowl • The Vault

1. NOBAMA

haha.... this is the best thing Obama has done while he is in office.... RESIGN BARRY

August 13, 2011 at 2:16 am |
    • Howard

If Obama is such a good president, why does he have to spend a BILLION dollars to get reelected ???

August 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
      • Bigdog

Hey nutnut you talk about howmuch money Obama spens, you forgot about how much the repub spen just to get votes .that is the only they can win is to buy and cheat.

August 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
      • Edog

Hey Howard,

Because the oil companies and big corporations are going to spend a hell of a lot more than that to swift boat him!!

August 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
      • rgray222

The oil companies have given equal amounts to the democrats and the republicans through the last 4 elections so your argument does not hold water. Plus nobody has to swift boat obama, he is doing it to himself. Even the liberal media and the hard core obamatrons are seeing that obama lacks creative ideas and leadership. His own party has mostly bailed on him. When your honest about it obama has spent more time blaming, republicans, bush, fox news etc etc instead of using that time and energy to get us out of the mess he created with spending like a madman. Obama may be a nice good but that does not make him a good president!

August 13, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
      • Bill in STL

Thats right EDOG .... The MONIED POWERS are ging to BUY this election... Yeah ... Right.... Grow up ...

August 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Old Salt

Tobe replaced by which of the intellectual lightweights on the other side? Get freakin'real.

August 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  2. 2012 ROMNEY

I WANT TO SEE THE GUY WHO GAVE US 10% UNEMPLOYMENT.... THAT IS QUITE A ACCOMPLISHMENT, THE HIGHEST RATE IN 30 YEARS.

August 13, 2011 at 6:10 am |
  3. DEMOCRATSAGAINSTOBAMA

I agree, we need someone who understands ECONOMICS not community organizing.

August 13, 2011 at 6:12 am |
  4. seriously?

10% unemployment good job barak

August 13, 2011 at 6:16 am |
  5. surf's up2010

they blocked my comment because I dont support obama...haha... cnn= censorshiop news network

August 13, 2011 at 8:36 am |
  6. Rick McDaniel

The Cheeseheads should have turned him down.......flat!

August 13, 2011 at 9:08 am |
    • Bill in STL

Nah ... to good a change to take a poke at a Bears Fan..

August 14, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
  7. jean2009

OBAMA-BIDEN 2012

August 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • surf's up2010

obama 2012....HAHA.. are you serious?

August 14, 2011 at 8:43 am |
    • Tuned In

Would not vote for either of them for Dog Catcher!

August 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Howard

Abraham Lincoln was right ... Obama can't fool all of the people all of the time ... and, even with the mainstream media constantly promoting him, and making excuses for him, the people are finally beginning to see what an abject failure Obama really is.
      SAVE AMERICA ... IMPEACH OBAMA NOW !!!

August 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Bill in STL

Agree .... Go Right back to Chicago....

August 14, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • Howard

JEANL, it's people like you, blind fanatical Obama loyalists, who are bringing America to its knees. America is MORE important than Obama, and it's time for you Obama suckers to open your eyes, and shift your loyalty from Obama to America, if you want to save this great country of ours !!!

August 15, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
  8. MesaMax

When is Obama going to comment on the Wisconsin Race Riots?

August 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • jean2009

Maybe he should cover it in the same speech about the 2 white teens who deliberately ran down a black man last week.

Are you really such a moron as to think the president should be addressing local issues better left to local police departments? Or, was it that you couldn't think of anything else to post?

August 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
      • Jay in NC

How soon you forgot the Beer Summit.

August 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
      • Tuned In

And the Cambridge Police incident.... But then hey .... "they acted Stupidly"

August 14, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
      • Bill in STL

But Jay, they acted stupidly, remember, and in jeans mind that makes all the difference!

August 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
      • jean2009

@Jay/Bill

So, you think he should also comment on the New Orleans Danziger Bridge Police Profiling Case?

August 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
      • Bill in STL

Once againjean you miss the point entirely.... It is so sad, He has already commeneted on local issues... He has already set the precedent.... No you are going togive hem a pass???? Typical liberal mentality

August 14, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
      • jean2009

@ Bill/Jay I see it as usual racist Teapotty nuts complaining about naught.

August 15, 2011 at 1:56 am |
      • Howard

JEAN, it's people like you, blind fanatical Obama loyalists, who are bringing America to its knees. America is MORE important than Obama, and it's time for you Obama suckers to open your eyes, and shift your loyalty from Obama to America, if you want to save this great country of ours !!!

August 15, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

@NOBAMA; YOU ARE THE BIGGEST CHEESEHEAD, OK? If you just came up with that conclusion, the conclusion that this is the 'best thing Obama has done while he is in office', you have to be the biggest cheesehead! LOL! AND NO! He will NOT resign either! OBAMA/BIDEN 2012! GO OBAMA!

August 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Tuned In

I agree ... Go Obama ... rigth back home to Chicago... there he can be "in his element" with "like minded" politicians!

August 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Bill in STL

Here we go again ... name calling, blame placing ... blind allegiance to a failed policy put forth by liberal democrats...

August 14, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
      • jean2009

I'm a proud liberal democrat.
        I find conservatism inherently a selfish philosophy. I consider them Luddites when it comes to embracing new technology...such as wind, solar, wave plus their total disregard for the environment to enrich their own greed at the expense of our children's heritage... they cry so hypocritically about the cost we are passing on to our children...but where is their concern for the environmental cost?

August 14, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
      • Bill in STL

Greed, jean, truly? What is greed? You classify it as money, and the power that money gives. I have a different take... I classify it as the ability to take earned money and spend it on irresponsible programs... And the ability to direct every aspect of your life as any large big brother government wants to do.... That is greed jean, when government hasto knowevery thing about you and what you do and tries to direct every aspect of your life... to remove choice that is truly greed..... when you want that government to take from the people who have earned it and give t the peopl that just don't care.... that is greed

August 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
      • jean2009

@Bill I consider irresponsible programs money spent that really benefits no one...war, tax subsidies to raise tobacco, gas subsidies (welfare for the rich), farm subsidies for non-farmers (i.e. see welfare for the rich), etc.

August 15, 2011 at 2:03 am |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia

It's for his campaign envious jerk! Things cost more these days. People who are working in his campaign cost more; the work, the venues. These are the times; everything has gone up except peoples paychecks...food and gasoline cost more, deisel fuel, more! It's costing him more to campaign this time than it did the last time! You folk sure do hate to see a black man able to secure or solicit BIG money don't you? And that's in ANY area or profession. Well get used to it! Because 'AIN'T NO STOPPING US NOW'!

August 13, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Jay in NC

He spent about $730,000,000 for the 2008 election. He said that he would spend $ 1,000,000,000 this election. Are you truly saying that cost of living has gone up 37 % ? Is that how bad he has made the economy? My we truly need a new president.

August 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Bill in STL

And even if he loses .... thats a BIG chunk of change that he has collected from those down trodden people.... Wonder if he feels the least bit guilty about possibly taking the bread out of those peoples mouths? Or is this the Rich Intellectual efite snobs that are funding him?

August 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
      • jean2009

You mean like the rich elite terrorist....Koch Brothers and Richard Mellon Scaife?

August 14, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • Howard

LIZ, it's people like you, blind fanatical Obama loyalists, who are bringing America to its knees. America is MORE important than Obama, and it's time for you Obama suckers to open your eyes, and shift your loyalty from Obama to America, if you want to save this great country of ours !!!

August 15, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  11. maikl

He try to collect 1b. dollars for reelection. He need money becouse he going to loose on his record. DEMAND on food banks in Washington D.C. skyrockets under Obama watch. Where YES WE CAN? B.S.

August 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  12. marie

I have a choice. I can vote democratic and live or as a senior citizen I can vote republican and die. It doesn't make since for a older person who is poor, sick and broke to vote for a republican whose mission is to destroy our life. For me, I choose to live and I choose to vote democratic.

August 14, 2011 at 1:18 am |
  13. Liz Carter in Georgia

Gasoline has certainly gone up more than 37%. And I don't profess to be an economist, statistician, mathmetician, accountant, nor a 'politician', but I do know I haven't recieved a COL raise in 2 years and everything has gone up around me; my rent, utilities, my taxes, my (self only) medical insurance went up from $168,00 to $231.00 this past January and I'm sure I'm not alone. NO! Obama didn't do it, the failing policies of the last administration brought the system to this point. New president? Who? LOL!!

August 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • jean2009

@Liz

it is not the current retail prices for any good that will determine how much the President needs to raise for this election. It is the fact that Corporation are being treated as if they were people. It is the fact that some things like commercial air time will cost more.

The COLA is determined on the price for a set basket of commodities not everything happening in the market. For 2012 there may be a COLA increase, but it might be eaten by a rise in the cost for Medicare B premiums for many people...which I guess is better than having the increase for Medicare B and nothing to offset it.

Actually, last year the drop in the premium for Medicare Part D and the fact that more drugs did have generics available my husband no longer popped through that doughnut hole for drugs. I understand several more drugs will have a generic version available in 2012.

This from the Baltimore Sun:Social Security: After two-year drought, beneficiaries expected to get a raise
      But the increase could be soaked up by insurance premiums

Our condo fee has increased, I hope property tax goes down...at least it should, utilities are up... sometimes.it is harder for the individual filer since they do not have the married tax deductions against income.

August 14, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • Bill in STL

Yes, prices have certainly shot up in the last 2 years .... wonder why?

August 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
      • jean2009

Maybe a few things have gone up (not dramatically), but a great many other things have gone down.

Prescription eye glasses and dental costs have gone up. Our family dentist of 38 years and eye doctor of 36 years have both moved into new digs (next door to each other) their new offices are in a high rent area. I'm too old to change doctors just because their fees have increased, after this many years they are family friends...at one time one was a neighbor.

Actually, the Medicare Part D premium decreased for this year, many drugs that were hundred or more dollars in co-pay for a 90 day supply are now an $8 co-pay for the generic version. Bundling caused the Phone/ High Definition TV/ High-speed Internet cost to go down, gasoline has still not hit June 2008 high of $4.11. The condo fee went up per month but then it hadn't went up for 3 years, and that was due mainly to two winters of a more than expect need for snow removal, plus we voted to take out 11 Ash trees and replace them (due to the Emerald Ash Borer) and our not wanting to wait until the cost for removing what were relatively young trees, had turned into the necessity of removing larger older trees at a greater expense. Our property tax should go down to reflect the current decrease in property values (thanks to GWB tanking the economy).. This county doesn't re-evaluate property tax until this coming March.

I remember last summer buying fresh peaches from a kid and the gas station across the street was doing a landmark business because their gas prices were about 20 cents less than any other gas station on the main drag. The young kid asked why they were so busy and I told him what their gas price was. He said: That's really good I'm gassing up when I get off." I looked at him and said: "No honey,15 cents a gallon is a really good; I can remember when it was that price." It was worth it to see the expression on his face..

August 15, 2011 at 3:26 am |
    • Howard

It's people like you, blind fanatical Obama loyalists, who are bringing America to its knees. America is MORE important than Obama, and it's time for you Obama suckers to open your eyes, and shift your loyalty from Obama to America, if you want to save this great country of ours !!!

August 15, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  14. Bill in STL

LOL .... I meant what I said jean,,,, what about James Carville?, what about Bill and Hilary Clinton, not tolong ago they were middle class.... they used the office of the presidnecy to become wealthy, on your back they did this ....

August 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • jean2009

I think you can chalk those up to book deals and speaking fees....now how about George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Mary Matalin, Halliburton, Black Water, and Rick Perry in Texas?

Try George W. Bush's Skeleton Closet @ http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm

August 15, 2011 at 2:13 am |
  15. Liz Carter in Georgia

Thanks Jean! I'm sure you are right! Your answer does give a more thorough account of why it is understandably feasable that the President would be setting a goal of 1 billion dollars for his campaign funds. I was only answering Jays' sarcastic response to me, as he was referring to my original post to Howards' slight about Pres Obama. I know it was simplistic, but it was just my way of replying to his smart alecky remark using my personal debts and the commodity, gas as a gage as to how high thing are.

August 15, 2011 at 1:15 am |
  16. Lealand Macoby

Im tired of the only Dem talking point being that the RICH and wealthy are evil. Big Oil and Gas!!!. Blah blah. every dem drives a car. Microsoft made more profit this last quarter than all the gas companies combined. Microsoft also paid 27% less in federal taxes. I have no problem taxing big oil but you better tax every other BIG Business too!! Including BAE and SUNFIRE which make wind turbines and solar power to include electical infrastructure. BTW they charge a 25 year royalty on all lines installed. Essentially a tax that equated to 8 billion dollars in revenue for the company in the last 12 months. Flat tax is the way to go but everybody has to pay EVERYBODY. Not just the people Dems and libs hate.

August 15, 2011 at 6:24 am |
  17. Liz Carter in Georgia

Howard, we're not the problem! This nations' problem is rooted way deeper than where us Liberals stand! Yes we're liberals who voted for OBAMA, defend OBAMA and plan to vote for him again, OK? We see the BIG picture surrounding the evil of unfair, distortions coming from you McCONNELL/BOEHNER right-wingers surrounding THIS president. It's double-standard, racist, white supremast, self-absorbed, biggoted, disloyal, un-patriotic, treasonistic, obstructionistic, greedy people like you that are killing AMERICA!

August 15, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  18. joe

Obama is the shepherd I did not want.
    He leadeth me beside the still factories.
    He restoreth my faith in the Republican party.
    He guideth me in the path of unemployment for his

party's sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the bread

line, I shall fear no hunger, for his bailouts are with

me. He has anointed my income with taxes,

My expenses runneth over.
    Surely, poverty and hard living will follow me all

the days of my life, And I will live in a mortgaged

home forever.

August 15, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  19. Liz Carter in Georgia

BTW, the only men black, white or other, I may ever be able to accept your accusatory claim of my being fanatically loyal to are as follows: Jesus Christ, my Father, my Husband, my Brothers, and my Uncles. I admire and respect the President of the United States as I have all of them before him during their time. However, yes, I do have a special respect and admiration for this one because I empathize and sympathize with his plight and the strategic antagonistic conditions he has to deal with everyday!

August 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  20. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Lealand Macoby; you're tired? We liberals are tired of OUR government susidizing welfare to the BIG OIL with our 'socially' collected of 'taxpayer money! We're also tired of the BIG CONSERVATIVE LIE that the BUSH taxcuts are meant to be extended because these are the people who are creating jobs! Really? That's one of the BIGGEST LIES of recent! Ever since BUSH gave them the taxcuts, and even before, companies have been merging, folding or moving jobs overseas! No Jobs, 2 Wars, the economy? YOU'RE TIRED?

August 16, 2011 at 12:08 am |