Obama asks for a Joint Session of Congress
President Obama addresses a Joint Session of Congress while delivering his State of the Union speech January 25, 2011. The President has asked to address another joint session Sept. 7 to lay out his jobs program.
August 31st, 2011

Obama asks for a Joint Session of Congress

President Obama sent a letter to Capitol Hill leaders requesting time on Sept 7 at 8pm to address a Joint Session of Congress.  This is the President's jobs speech we were told would happen after Labor Day.  Below is the text of the letter.

Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Mr. Leader:)

Our Nation faces unprecedented economic challenges, and millions of hardworking Americans continue to look for jobs. As I have traveled across our country this summer and spoken with our fellow Americans, I have heard a consistent message: Washington needs to put aside politics and start making decisions based on what is best for our country and not what is best for each of our parties in order to grow the economy and create jobs. We must answer this call.

Therefore, I respectfully request the opportunity to address a Joint Session of Congress on September 7, 2011, at 8:00 p.m. It is my intention to lay out a series of bipartisan proposals that the Congress can take immediately to continue to rebuild the American economy by strengthening small businesses, helping Americans get back to work, and putting more money in the paychecks of the Middle Class and working Americans, while still reducing our deficit and getting our fiscal house in order. It is our responsibility to find bipartisan solutions to help grow our economy, and if we are willing to put country before party, I am confident we can do just that.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

BARACK OBAMA

# #

Topics: jobs • The News

1. Pete

Obama is the shepherd I did not want.
    He leadeth me beside the still factories.
    He restoreth my faith in the Republican party.
    He guideth me in the path of unemployment for his party's sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the bread line,
    I shall fear no hunger for his bailouts are with me.
    He has anointed my income with taxes,
    My expenses runneth over.
    Surely, poverty and hard living will follow me all the days of my life,
    And I will live in a mortgaged home forever.

August 31, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • David

This article makes it sound like Obama wants to be a team player. Wasn't it Obama who told Republicans to "Be quiet?" Wasn't it Obama who told Republicans to "Sit in the back of the bus?" Wasn't it Obama who said "I want to work with Republicas, but if I have to I'll do it without them?" Oama the team player....sure you're right.

August 31, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • Russell Brown

It isthe first responsibilty of
      every citizen to question authority
      a battle lost or won is easily describled
      understood and appreciated but the moral growth
      of a great nation requires
      reflection as well as observation to appreciate it.
      quesiton what did President Bush Do with the surplus he had recived
      how much surplus did President Bush leave President obama.for the american people.

August 31, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
    • Russell Brown

words out of your mouth have power
      carefull what you say .

August 31, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
    • PC0909

I love it!

August 31, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
  2. Walt

Gee Mr. President, Isn't this the same time as an already scheduled GOP debate? I am sure that it is a slight oversight, but it looks to be a partisan move when you are asking for bi-partisanship help in moving our country forward.

August 31, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • Howard

IT'S NOT A SLIGHT OVERSIGHT ... IT'S AN OBVIOUS SLIGHT !!!

August 31, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • Pete

the idiot set it up that way he knew it was a conflict
      He changed it to make himself look good
      But that can never happen
      Obama is no confirmed a bigger ASSHOLE than Jimmy carter
      65% say he can't do the Job

September 1, 2011 at 8:23 am |
      • Russell Brown

kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and
        the blind can see.

September 1, 2011 at 9:55 am |
      • Russell Brown

pete my jesus wash you mine from all that anger
        anger is never without reason but seldom with a good one.

September 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
      • Pete

Who's Angry? Obama's an idiot h'es a Liberal I feel sorry that he is so confused
        But his ignorance is not good for america
        May God Bless

September 1, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  3. Jay in NC

Finally he has man-up to the job. Now lets see if it was worth the wait.

August 31, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  4. C-Lo

My guess is that it will be a simple rewrite of the plans the GOP has already proposed so he can try to get credit, which will then be met with resistance of the plan they already wanted so he doesn't. Putting country in front of party DOESN'T happen in DC, which is why we don't need politicians in the white house nor a big gov't intervention. All we want from DC is for them to get out of the way.

August 31, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

C-Lo, Rewrite of GOP plans? What plans did the GOP already propose? You also claimed 'so he could try to get the credit'? If your guess ends up to be true, and I doubt it; I'd rather think that in the name of so-called bi-partisanship, he'd decide to put something on out here on JOBS, even if they ARE GOP proposals! He doesn't want any credit other than to show AMERICANS that OK! 'I'm STILL trying HARD to work together in DC, with the GOP for AMERICANS on the jobs issue'. They reject everything he puts up!

August 31, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • C-Lo

Liz–Sorry I don't have much time for debate starting today and going through the next couple weeks. In short, if you go back and review the economic proposals the GOP was putting forth between Jan and Aug, they were told time and again that either Reid wouldn't allow it to the Senate floor or Obama would veto it. If you also look at what was going on during the standoff, the proposals put forth by the dems/Obama had a lot of the Repub's ideas, but when they saw that:
      1. He had moved in their direction; and
      2. American public seemed to ignore that many of the ideas originated with the GOP (i.e. tax cuts which Obama is still calling for)

They came back with more demands. I see this going the same way.

Gotta run. Wish you a happy Labor Day weekend. Keep the faith, maybe 2012 we "overthrow" the whole bunch of them and start with a clean slate of people who will start to work together and stop posturing.

September 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  6. Liz Carter in Georgia

We are suppose to be ONE NATION UNDER GOD...Right? OBAMA has conceded on several issues, causing us and even some of his base to get angry; He keeps trying to compromise and work with his evil counterparts in WASHINGTON. Problem is they don't reciprocate and never will! His desire to try to look like they're capable of working together is overwheming to me, because I know they mean to undermine him at the expense of the whole country! Some of us asked that they get over themselves and ideology; go to work!!

August 31, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • Howard

YEAH ... We are supposed to be one nation under God ... unless you're an atheist democrat, who doesn't believe in God, and mocks those who do ... Or, your concept of one nation is to blame everything on others ... or, to pit half of America against the other half ... or, to have blind loyalty for YOUR caucus, and accuse all opposition of racism ... or to belittle your opponent, for their religious beliefs, after spending TWENTY YEARS in Reverend Wright's anti-American, racist church ... or to disregard the fact that an overwhelming majority of Americans voted to cut spending, last November, and instead to demonize congressmen who are responsive to the will of the people !!!

August 31, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
      • Russell Brown

The Republicans are a wing of the christian faith
        I wonder How Jesus massage of love thy neighbor has
        been working out for them .
        The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged
        to it but you are no longer part of the world .

August 31, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
  7. drogo, the stallion that mounts the world

I was really swept up in the 2008 campaign for Obama. Me thinks Obama doesn't deserve another term.

September 1, 2011 at 12:49 am |
  8. Pete

65% think obama is useless
    What do you expect
    the man in charge is not a leader He has no clue
    Obama is just a Snake oil salesman
    2012 can't come soon enough to get rid of this Bozo

September 1, 2011 at 8:09 am |
    • Russell Brown

keep in mind that our community is not composed of those who are already
      saints but of those who are trying to become saints
      there fore let us be extermely patient with each other faults and failures.

September 1, 2011 at 10:03 am |
      • Pete

He's out in 2012

September 1, 2011 at 10:10 am |
  9. CARTIER

FYI ...... Russell Brown, Pete and Drogo, GOP, Tea Party,

Come 2012 President Obama will not only win a second term, he will win with over 65 %.
    it's a very small percentage of American that will vote for the tea party or gop because there is no leadership.

cantor and the colored guy are hives on America *ss. Hives don't last to long. Cantor and the color guy will choose to retire soon, they can't stand an African American in the white house. The majority of Americans, Black and White do not tolerate racism and cantor and the color guy middle name is chauvinist.

Mr. G W. Bush got all the breaks he wanted and even more when he started spending our tax money on personal vendettas. The grand chauvinistic old party (GOP) and its sister the tea racialist party is showing America who they are. I’m not a Obama Fan, I’m a admirer of truth and facts.

History will call President Obama the Greatest President ever elected. We will have Cantor and the color guy to blame.
    I'm being lead to think that Cantor, the color guy are secretly working to reelect Obama.

September 1, 2011 at 11:34 am |
    • Russell Brown

yes president obama will be elected to another term I suport the president obama
      may G-D bless him and his staff.
      if you read my comments you will see That I Support President Obama .

September 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
      • Pete

your'e a Reverend Wright followes Correct!!

September 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Pete

You must be smoken so of that lowlife Liberal Weed

Perry – Romney 2012 for a great America

September 1, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  10. AmericanVoice

Republican lawmakers are paid for by big oil, big finance and big insurance. They have the easiest constituents in America. All a republican or tea party scum bag has to do is vote against gay marriage, abortion, black presidents and immigration. If he or she says they love Jesus it's bonus points. Republicans are stupid. You vote for them and that makes you stupid. Your gas prices are not controlled by congress, they are controlled by foreign entities who donate millions of dollars to Republican campaigns. It is the same with finance and insurance. Not all are represented by foreign entities, but they certainly are not on the side of the middle class. Which is just over 99% of the population.
    So... stop voting for these greedy leaches who call themselves Republicans. I call them thieves and traitors.

September 1, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
  11. Liz Carter in Georgia

Thanks for your straight-forward comment AmericanVoice. I agree 100%!

September 2, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  12. Liz Carter in Georgia

Hope you have a safe and fun-filled LABOR DAY too, C-Lo!

September 2, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • Yudi

Why does Mr. Obama not release his long-form birth cttieficare? This would prove his natural born citizenship. I understand he has spent over a millon dollar to hide it from the public. It will just cost a few dollars to take a copy and show it to the press.

April 2, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
  13. Liz Carter in Georgia

You are dead on CARTIER; That is exactly what the whole thing is and they think we are stupid enough to believe anything else but that! I told them a long time ago, all of us weren't on crack!

September 2, 2011 at 2:33 pm |