Obama's day ahead: Awarding the Medal of Honor, fundraising in DC
September 15th, 2011

Obama's day ahead: Awarding the Medal of Honor, fundraising in DC

It's a quiet morning for the president, at least according to the public schedule released by the White House. What we know now is the president will have a closed-door meeting with Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner at 12:00 p.m. ET. Then he will award the Medal of Honor to Dakota Meyer at a ceremony in the East Room. Meyer, 23, is the first living Marine to receive the recognition for actions in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Next on the schedule are two Democratic National Committee fundraising events at private DC residences in the evening. These are open to the print pool, but not to cameras.

Full schedule:

EDT

10:00AM Pool Call Time

12:00PM THE PRESIDENT meets with Secretary of the Treasury Geithner

Oval Office

Closed Press

2:45PM THE PRESIDENT awards Dakota Meyer, a former active duty Marine Corps Corporal, the Medal of Honor; THE FIRST LADY also attends

East Room

Open Press (Pre-Set 12:45 PM—Final Gather 2:15 PM—North Doors of the Palm Room)

7:00PM THE PRESIDENT delivers remarks at a DNC event

Private Residence, Washington, DC

Print Pool Coverage for Remarks (In-Town Travel Pool Gather Time 5:45PM – North Doors of the Palm Room)

8:40PM THE PRESIDENT delivers remarks at a DNC event

Private Residence, Washington, DC

Print Pool Coverage for Remarks

Briefing Schedule

12:45PM Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney

Topics: Daily Schedule

1. Travelmate C311xmi Battery

Proud to have served in the Marines! Semper Fi Dakota Meyer, Medal of Honor! Oorah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!

September 15, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  2. Howard

It's time for Obama to once again use the popularity and accomplishments of others ... to give the phony impression that he is deserving or our votes and campaign contributions ... to feed his own self serving ambitions.

September 15, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  3. Joe

the snake oil saleman is grandstanding again

September 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  4. Liz Carter in Georgia

GRANDSTANDING?!? Remember the nations' GREATEST GRANDSTANDER; George W Bush, and his 'MISSION ACCOMPLISHED', Joe? That's just one of his 'grandstanding' positions. BTW, Howard, you're just a beligerent, hatefilled, racist fool. I truly understand now, the real meaning of the quote made by the thoughtful writer and poemster Walt Whitman: 'I do not trouble my spirit to vindicate itself to be understood, (because) I see that elementary laws NEVER apologize'.- Walt Whitman. OBAMA/BIDEN 2012! YES WE WILL AGAIN!!

September 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • john

3 years later our current president has ruined this country and all you libs can say is "Bush". The hate in your comments is typical of libs. Especially spewing hate and pointing the finger at others for doing it. 2012 can't come soon enough.
      Hope for Change in 2012!!!

September 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Liz, The aircraft carrier had been deployed for 10-months. They say that that was the longest deployment of a carrier since the Vietnam War. The "mission accomplished" sign was for the crew not the war. I do not understand why, after all these years, you do not want to acknowledge the accomplishments of the carrier crew. Some of us are proud of our men and women.

September 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

LOL! Conservatives are ones to boo-hoo about hate! Anyone who's keeping up just a little bit with what's been going on in this nation's political arena can see and hear the GOP/Teaparty conservatives' comments of vitriol, dismissiveness, disdain, and beligerency are the most hateful and disrespectful to the OFFICE of the PRESIDENT. We've never had this much hate blasted at ANY sitting PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, of ANY party, in my life! Talk about un-American! Conservatives are the worst sore-loosers!

September 15, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • C-Lo

Liz-did you ever consider objectively that part of the reason it seems worse now is that:
      1. The "hate" doesn't seem as bad when you agree with what/who is being hated (Bush)?
      2. We have more access than ever to express our opinions in wide open networks like this that were still in their infancy even during most of Bush's terms?
      3. You, in particular, as well as some others on this post have a bigger tendency to take attacks on the president personally because of the race issue. Right or wrong, I am NOT judging you based on that, just trying to look at it from where you stand–and I hope our conversations have will back me up on this.

I'm not saying he isn't attacked, and heavily, but read reports of so many other Presidents from a mearly historical perspective and see if there aren't hate filled detractors for any and all of them. Again, I think it's magnified now because of the access we have to communicate.

That's all I'm saying.

September 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  6. Liz Carter in Georgia

C-lo, I've never indicated that I hated GWB. You all talk about a President not knowing what he was doing! One that has no clue? Bush takes the cake! Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rove puppetized Bush! He often said ' I don't know...they told me....blah-blah-blah. I've only used him, his positions and the things he and any other US PRESIDENT was PRIVVY to, in comparison to how this President has been screamed at and called out on! I mainly focus on how he's being treated personally, though hidden under his politics!

September 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, I really have nothing to say to you, other than GO AHEAD, fix it up like you want to. I know you know how to counter anything I say to make yourself look squeaky clean and to tear down my comment, which according to many even on this blog hasn't worked! But just know this! WW2? KOREAN WAR? VIETNAM WAR? 'Some of US are proud of our men and women'! YOU, of all people couldn't begin to be more prouder than I am of MY US ARMED FORCES! I've contributed and even taken losses, and STILL AM! Have you? GO USA!

September 16, 2011 at 7:39 pm |