Obama goes west to find campaign gold
October 24th, 2011

Obama goes west to find campaign gold

Las Vegas, Nevada (CNN) –President Obama's west coast swing is expected to yield big rewards for his 2012 re-election campaign, and attract some Hollywood heavy hitters.

A Democratic official estimates the campaign will haul in more than $4 million dollars from six fundraisers in three states.

At a fundraising event in Las Vegas Monday at the Bellagio Hotel, 300 people are expected to attend with tickets starting at $1000.

Later, the president will travel to Los Angeles for two star-studded events.

One is a dinner at the home of Producer James Lassiter and his wife, Mai, with tickets going for $35,800, the legal limit an individual is allowed to contribute to a campaign per cycle and to a party committee per year.

The other is a $5,000 per person event  at the home of actress Melanie Griffith-Banderas that will include high-profile Latinos in Hollywood. Actress Eva Longoria, Los Angeles mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro are expected to be in attendance, the official said.

On Tuesday in San Francisco, folk rock singer-songwriter Jack Johnson will headline another fundraiser at the W hotel.

Then that evening in Denver,Colorado, the president will attend two final fundraisers at the Pepsi Center. All the money raised at the fundraisers will go to the Obama Victory Fund, which is joint account of the Obama re-election campaign and the Democratic National Committee. And two of the three states the president is visiting on this swing, Nevada and Colorado, are swing states that Obama won in the 2008 election and that he hopes to keep in the Democratic column next year.

During his trip west, Mr. Obama will also be unveiling a plan to help struggling homeowners refinance and help college students with burdensome school loans.

Topics: 2012 Election • Hispanic Vote • The News

1. JerseyBill

Hitting up his Hollywood and corporate millionaire and billionaire cronnies. What a fraud.

October 24, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • DAMN RIGHT

JUST LIKE BUSH/CHENEY DID WITH THEIR BIG OIL CRONNIES, OH CAN YOU SAY HALIBURTON

October 24, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Trace

@JerseyBill

Is your fake outrage a learned skill or does it come naturally. Wake up! This is what most of us recognize as a Political Campaign.

Duh...

There other people out there trying to get contributions too. Big secret to you huh?

Jeesh. You really need to go learn something about the political process...your faux news rants simply suck

October 25, 2011 at 8:52 am |
    • Orville

How hypocritcal are these rich donors to Obama's campaign are when they give their money to rich politicians and not more directly to the poor they claim to have a heart for. Shame on them. The tax law should increase a tax write-off for those who give to true charities and drop any write-off for those who give to politicians or political campaigns.

October 25, 2011 at 11:03 am |
      • steveo

Orville,

I don't care how people spend THEIR money (long as it is not illegal or immoral, and even then, nothing I can do about it). I just hate that idea of special interest! Remember when the President admitted shovel ready jobs were not really shovel ready? The guy sitting next to him was Jeff Immelt, the CEO of GE (who has been winning a ton of government "green job" contracts btw"). I wonder why GE paid NO, ZERO federal income taxes last year. The GOP had Halliburton, the Dems have GE!

October 25, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  2. Terri Oto

I just missed a connection because my plane was delayed by Obama in Las Vegas. Why doesn't he fly into one of the many military bases in the area? Why does he have to delay businesspeople who are just trying to get things done? He's lost any chance of my vote and I'm happy to campaign against him now. Also–USAir (Useless Air) failed to help in any way also. Nice way to lose my business.

October 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  3. jean2009

Obama-Biden 2012

October 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  4. Howard

obama trading political favors for campaign contributions ... so he can buy his way back into the White House !!!

SAVE AMERICA ... DUMP obama !!!

October 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • DAMN RIGHT

AND WHAT DID CHENEY DO WITH HALIBURTON'S NO BID CONTRACT FOR THE WAR, AND THEY GAVE OUR SOLDIERS A PILE OF CRAP. GWB/CHENEY DID A LOT OF FAVORS FOR THEIR OIL BUDDIES SO CUT THE BS

October 24, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
      • Jay in NC

I guess two wrongs make it damn right.

October 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  5. Dee

He deserves to go on the road he has done a superb job in National Security more than any President and without the help of Congress of "NO".

He will turn this economy around too without the help of congress of "NO".

Those who don'tlike him need to stop spewing hatred and whinning and vote for Perry or leave the country. Jay in NC
    spends all his time hating this President I know where you are coming from because I am from NC.

October 24, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • steveo

That is not how the government works.
      1. "No" is not always an incorrect answer. However, just saying no for the sake of saying no is foolish! A good idea is a good idea and I don't care who came up with it. Congress has much more to say about the economy than any president ever had. The Congress controls the government checkbook. No president will fix the economy without the help of the Congress and it matters not what party is in the majority or in the White House!

2. No president gets everything they want! Just review any GOP presidency that had a DEM led Congress!

That is just how it works!

October 25, 2011 at 10:56 am |
      • C-Lo

I like how Dem's label Republicans as "toddlers" in their use of "NO." I see it as Dem's being toddlers walking through the store w/mom and dad saying "I want, I want, I want...gimme, gimme, gimme" and the Repubs as parents saying "No, we cannot afford that. No, that's not good for you. No, if you have that toy, you cannot have this one."

And the Dem's response, "But dad, you have that little card in your wallet, just use it."

October 25, 2011 at 11:29 am |
      • YOUR RIGHT

STEVEO, YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT, NO PRESIDENT EVER GETS WHAT THEY WANT, SEEMS HOWEVER, HIS CAMPAIGN PROMISES WERE JUST WISHFUL THINKING ON POTUS PART AND NOW THAT HE IS UP AGAINST PEOPLE WHO IS OBSTRUCTIN AND SAYING NO TO ANYTHING AND EVERTHING JUST TO MAKE SURE HE FAILS AND IS A 1 TERM PREZ POTUS IS NOW IN THE REAL WORLD. @ C LO "I WANT I WANT, GIMME GIMME" REALLY BUSH SOMEHOW COLLAPSED OUR ECONOMY YOUR RIGHT WITH DEMS IN CONTROL. REMEMBER C LO WHEN DID THE FIRST BAILOUT MONEY GO OUT AND MY 401k TANKED BEFORE OBAMA TOOK OFFICE AND HE HASN'T BORROWED MONEY FROM CHINA LIKE GWB AND NOW THEY OWN OUR ASS ALL FOR TOKEN $600 CHECK

October 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
      • Steveo

@YOUR RIGHT
        -------------
        Not quite what I said. I said no president gets EVERYTHING they want. As a then Senator, President Obama saw that first hand. He knew how it worked. The problem with candidates making promises is they ALWAYS seem to forget their is a 535 member Congress that they have to deal with! I think we, the electorate forgets that as well.

October 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
      • C-Lo

@ Your Right
        Ironic, isn't it, that had the Dem's supported a little more of the "party of no" attitude during the Bush presidency, Some of the mess wouldn't be around? Problem was, Bush was actually a Democrat (supports big gov't/DC power over the States) with some "conservative" ideas. Romney, on the other hand is a Republican (States rights) with a liberal slant (Romneycare). At least that's how I see it. With Dem's controlling both chambers and the WH, liberalism ran rampant with more and more big gov't programs. You can say O may not be borrowing from China yet (although the reality is we are), and we will be more and more as his policies come to fruition.

And, yes I was peeved at Bush for a lot of his policies, for the reasons I've cited.

October 26, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  6. sky

as a INDEPENDENT voter, we are the people who see the truth, that the Republicans are not willing to bargin or raise taxes on Million Airs and Billion Airs to get the economy working. Getting 98% of what they wanted, and have not created any JOBS! yet, But what the Republicans-Tea Party have caused S&P to down grade our country credit for the frist time in our nations history. Independents who are self-reliance not committed to a political party will take the stand again, Since the 1st day in office the Republicans main goal was to get Obama out of office instead of giving a hand with the wrost economy our country has ever seen. The Party of no, did 1 thing right to show the American people their willing to strip us of everything we have worked for. INDEPENDENT 4 Life

October 25, 2011 at 4:13 am |
    • steveo

Sky,

I have a question for you. What happens to the potential revenue from raising taxes on the rich. Will it go to pay down the debt or will it pay for yet another "program". In my household, the only way for me to get out of debt is to me to prioritize my spending, less on lower priority spending and then more to pay down the debt. I cannot spend my way out! DC is not promising the additional revenue will be used to pay down the debt. i have a problem with that and I am not rich!

October 25, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  7. Dee

Perry, Bush #2 will solve all of your problems just vote he and the rest of the GOP's into office.

Your household problems cannot be compared to the problems of the United States.

It is going to take eight years to get us out of the mess that this President has inherited and congress will not pass a single bill that he proposes so everyone blames Obama but that is not the way it works. The President's hands are tied only through some Executive Orders.

October 25, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • steveo

Not sure if you are address me but please explain to me how we can "spend" our way out, knowing that 40% we spend is borrowed! Folks seem to have a hrad time realizing that BOTH parties got us into this mess. IF you remember, the housing bubble started under Clinton, bank we made to lower lending standards because he believed EVERYBODY could afford a house. Barney Frank and Chris Dodd oversaw the mess we know as Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac. BOTH parties got us here and it will take BOTH to work to get us out!
      You said "Your household problems cannot be compared to the problems of the United States". WRONG! The only way to get out of debt is to pay down the debt! Raising taxes alone will not do it, cutting spending HAS to be a big part of it!

October 25, 2011 at 10:48 am |
      • C-Lo

Steveo
        You are generally correct, but you say it's going to take both parties to get us out of this mess...I will contend that it's going to take someone OTHER than the two parties...they are so deeply entrenched that we need a complete overhaul/REVOLUTION of the gov't. The individuals who will get us out MIGHT be associated with one of the parties, but it will be their individualism and ability to stand up to the corruptness in DC, as it seems both PARTIES are themselves becoming more and more polarized on issues far exceeding state vs. fed (centralized) power. Matter of fact, that's the area they seem to agree–more FED power, which will be the death of the Republic.

October 25, 2011 at 11:24 am |
      • steveo

C-Lo,

I appreciate your reply. The current system will never allow a third party candidate to win. I just don't see it. They may run but with all the money flowing as it is any viable third candidate will always be just that, a candidate, not tnominee an dnot the winner! Too bad though because I believe there are some great people out there that have some great ideas. I'm afraid they will always be left out!

October 25, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
      • C-Lo

You are right about viable 3rd party candidates, which is why the parties themselves need to be overhauled before the gov't is overhauled. That's why I think the "3rd party" has to be associated with one of the two. A radio personality here in Denver says, righfully, party trumps person, and therein is the problem. Even if we vote for someone who is relatively moderate (right or left) they get trampled by their associated party (each of which as I said, is becoming more polarized themselves) on every vote.

October 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  8. steveo

C-Lo,

I think in all honesty Romney would be good BUT the extereme right does not think he is conservative enough. His business experinece would come in handy! Moderates (on BOTH sides) are a dying breed! Party purity (on BOTH sides) is killing us!

October 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • C-Lo

Which dramatizes the problem again, you have to be ultra conservative or ultra liberal to win the party nomination without sacrificing the middle ground. I don't think moderates are a dying breed, just being overshadowed by the extremes. We are still the silent majority.

October 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • jean2009

Romney and honesty in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

October 25, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
      • Steveo

Point taken BUT the same can be applied to your favorite poltician as well.

October 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

C- lo, I am a Liberal African American Democratic Woman, who was born and reared in a home where my mother was an Abraham Lincoln Republican and my father was a Franklin Delano Roosevelt Democrat, however I would have to agree with your analysis in your comment of October 25, 2011 11:24 am ET. It is true...I can't see the DEMS not jumping on the money wagon! They feel like they might ought to get a little 'cut' too!

October 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • C-Lo

Thanks Liz, we've been down this road before in another discussion, and my "solution" is smaller gov't who, even if corrupt, doesn't have the power to effect the laws, money transfers, etc. they have now.

I was sorry to hear about your mother, and hope that her passing was a blessing for her and you as an end to suffering (sounds heartless, but I hope you understand what I mean). Terrible, terrible disease Alzheimer's is, on both the aflicted and their loved ones. Relax and take some time for yourself. No need to get worked up over the "crap" on here. God Bless.

October 26, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  10. YOUR RIGHT

@ Steveo, all I was trying to say is that I don't feel Obama has broken promises, and you are once again so right, if campainging they should remember that there are 2 other houses not just the White House. They need to campaign with words like, I would like to rather than I will do this or that. You are right again, both parties got us to where we are at, this is about the worse I have even seen where Repubs & Dems going after each other, the Party first mentality is killing us and nothing is being resolved.

October 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • steveo

I appreciate that YOUR RIGHT. Is it more important that we help get America right! I appreciate the President, I just don't always agree with him and I don't always agree with the GOP either! If I mis-read you, I apologize!

October 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  11. Liz Carter in Georgia

Thanks C-Lo. You are right...I will take it slow. I still will be frequenting my mothers house to make sure it doesn't get broken into. My second brother is the executor over her affairs but he lives in Huntsville, Al. We thank you for you prayers and sympathy. Hey Jean....Thanks!

October 27, 2011 at 12:59 am |
  12. Dee

Steveo I also appreciate You Right comments this shows that we can communicate and be sensible without stepping all over each others feelings. We can also learn from each other and try to bring some common ground into our conversations. Our representatives should take heed from us.

Liz Carter in Georgia, you are in my prayers I had a cousin who died and they broke into his house and took his valuable so yes take care of it as soon as possible.

October 28, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Steveo

Thank you Dee! Keep sharing your thoughts and I will do the same! Take care!

October 29, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  13. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Dee, Thank you for your prayers, well-wishes and warning too. We have central air and heat but you are soooo right! They stole an old window air-conditioner out of a back window of the house after my brother, who also lived in the family home, died in July and a couple of days after we buried him. This time, we did put an alarm on the house and I will of course be going over at least three times a week.

November 1, 2011 at 1:34 am |